Giant Squid Dive Expeditons Now Available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gonetobaja

Reaction score
Gone to Baja Expeditions now offers diving expeditions to dive with the Giant Humbolt Squid!!

Gone to Baja has teamed up with world renowned Extreme diver and underwater filmmaker Scott Cassell to offer guided trips to the sea of cortez to dive with him on squid dives.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in diving with the real sea monsters!!

http://www.gonetobaja.com check under the Squid Dive page.

here is a good link also on the giant squid.

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/issues/Issue.03-10-2005/cover/Article.cover_story

GTB

There was recently a show on the Discovery Channel about humboldt squid attacks on fisherman. Wouldn't diving with them be a bit more risky than your avarage shark dive?

Mantasscareme:
There was recently a show on the Discovery Channel about humboldt squid attacks on fisherman. Wouldn't diving with them be a bit more risky than your avarage shark dive?

I saw that show. Didn't Scott Cassell almost die from a humboldt squid attack? And he wears custom body armor on those dives. Not sure I'm up for THAT!!! :11:

This would cater to adventure-type folks, who have already had their fill of white shark cage diving, shark feedings, caving, etc... I know several such people that would be up for this sort of thing. The market is there.

Personally, I'd opt for the acrylic tube. But I'm a wussie.

I share your reservations....

However after years as a freedive spearfishing guide I have started to change my view of things. I have found that most animals in the water are prone to swim away from you if you show any type of aggression. Even sharks.

After getting to know Mr. Cassell and diving with him many times I have learned that if you exude confidence in the water and ALSO add a certain amount of saftey items you can dive with pretty much any animal in the ocean.

The squid dive expeditions came about as result of my expedition guide experience and his extreme knowledge of diving with the Humbolts. We have access to all of the protective gear and steel cable rigs for drifting in schools of giant squid in 500+. Our dive team Sea Wolves Unlimited is sponsored by Neptunic. www.neptunic.com

You guys are right, this trip is for the SCUBA "rush" junkie. There is nothing like the feeling of a 5 ft squid turning colors in front of your eyes and then attacking your arm. It really freaks you out. But when the squid gets a beak full of plate armor and a good shake from you he will let go. Rember the squid is used to being the bait also.

I am leaving tomorrow on this exact expedition. Some guy from a magazine with the name OUTDOOR in it is going to do an article on it. I am flying out of Arizona on Monday to San Bruno, a small airstrip about 15 miles south of Santa Rosalia. Scott is going to be our Air traffic controller via handheld Aiv VHF. We are going to dive with the giant squid from monday to wensday spending about 5 hrs per day underwater. We are using PRISM Reabreathers, however the actual tours will be done on standard alu 80s open circut.

This next expedition will be filmed on HI DEF and eventualy be offered to various people. I have no idea who.

I will report back in to you guys on thursday when I get back and tell you how this trip went. I will try and get one of the cameramen to post pics also.

If you ever wanted to do any type of EXTREME diving but didint want to die.......this might be your best bet....

GTB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom