Giant Clam Conservation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am currently at the University of the Philippines marine lab in Bolinao, on the central west coast of Luzon, the Philippines' biggest island (the one in the north, with Manila on it).

My colleagues at UP are very active in the conservation of giant clams. In the ocean off Bolinao in a shallow area they keep several 1000s of these amazing animals, and occasionally they bring a few back for spawning. An injection with serotonin triggers them to release gametes, and the larvae and juvenile clams are first kept in a hatchery, and are only resettled into the ocean after more tan a year.

I made a brief video about the clam breeding efforts:

@klausi
Thank you so much for sharing this and previous videos. They re both educational, interesting and exciting.
Keep on posting they are appreciated.

It is comforting to know the tridacna clams are being studied, grown and will be preserved for the future generations of natives as a traditional food source and divers to enjoy and photograph.'

There are a few tridacna clams in the US. I recall seeing live ones in aquariums, and several large specimens in local dive enthusiast home.

'Sam Miller,III

I was just in Palau in May, and that was when I first learned of the problems with giant clams and the efforts they are making there to preserve them. I wish you all the best with your efforts.

Fantastic work. I dived the Giant clams at Sabang, (T. Maximus, I believe), many times. Fantastic specimens. I actually had to stop other divers poking their muck sticks into the clam’s mantles.

I have a Crocea in my reef tank. Over 12 yrs old and still sucking.

Wow. That first video, of the clam emitting sperm -- you could tell it experienced a genuine orgasm!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom