Votes: 18 17.3%

Votes: 16 15.4%

Votes: 56 53.8%

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 13 12.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
While I realize this has been addressed in other forums I am wondering what you guys are doing for GF LO?

For years I have been using GF LO at 30. I was advised to do this by a hyperbaric doc who is a NOAA DMO, amongst other credentials.

These days I am reading where folks are using 50 as GF LO based partly on Simon Mitchells' discussions on this.

Using 30 aswell but more and more people around me are changing to higher numbers.

35/80.

Edit: I think it also depends a lot on what kind of dive it is. Some serious deep diving is different from some light deco dives (up to 15 min of deco).

Reactions: OTF
set it for the serious deep dives, the shallow stuff doesn't use GF-lo much...

I started off with vpm+2 (buhlmann 20-85)
Later changed it to 35/80

Never had signs of DCS that i know of.
I think it's a complicated subject. It's different for every person, but it's also not a thing to play around with to see what happens.
An instructor who makes deep dive's almost every day would probably have more feeling for this than someone who has to travel to make such dives, like me. I just use what is being taught in the courses i did.

Do you also use 50/80 for deeper dives beyond the 250 feet range? Did you ever experiment with your GF's and noticed differences between them? Like in fatigue?

I started off with vpm+2 (buhlmann 20-85)
Later changed it to 35/80

Never had signs of DCS that i know of.
I think it's a complicated subject. It's different for every person, but it's also not a thing to play around with to see what happens.
An instructor who makes deep dive's almost every day would probably have more feeling for this than someone who has to travel to make such dives, like me. I just use what is being taught in the courses i did.

Do you also use 50/80 for deeper dives beyond the 250 feet range? Did you ever experiment with your GF's and noticed differences between them? Like in fatigue?

yes though I haven't done a ton of comparative dives between them to compare but I do know I feel better with 50/70 or 50/80 than I did with 30/70. Other friends feel the opposite, but I've had some pretty big knee trauma over the years so it works for me.

I was at other end of spectrum, minor shoulder bend diving 80/80, so dialled back to 50/75 and been fine since.

it's also not a thing to play around with to see what happens.

Agree totally.

It is not an inherently intuitive thing unless you are Simon Mitchell or one of his colleagues.

Back
Top Bottom