GF and I wanting to get into kayak diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psyhawkz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey there, really interested in getting into this sport, but am feeling a bit overwhelmed by how few people seem to do this and how scattered the information is. First things first... We don't even have kayaks yet. I've been browsing used kayaks, but have been hesitant to go through with anything on such little information. I'm 6 ft 3 and weigh 190, she is 5 ft 3 and 130 lbs.

I know we've got a long road ahead of us with getting comfortable in our kayaks, training with flipping them over in the intercoastal etc. We both have honda civics with no rack system in place so foam blocks will be the way to go even though its a pain. I hear there are many 1/2 mile reefs we can check out in the pompano area. Ideally we would love to work up to going 1-3 miles offshore to dive, fish, or free dive is this feasible or am I just crazy?

We would love some direction on where to go with this, thanks.

Kayak diving is wondeful!
I kayak dive up here in Northern California. The water is cold, 49 to 53 degrees. I dive wet in a 7 mil both free and scuba and use appropriate weighting for each, so if I can do it here you certainly can do it there. I use a Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT with a tank well. Very simple and rugged kayak and good price point. It’s the tried and trued standard as far as kayaks go in my area. I’m 6’4” 230 lbs and my kayak supports me, my rig with a steel plate and steel 120, weight belt, small anchor, flag, etc. game bag, fish that I shoot, etc.
I have a rolling dolly I built to wheel it from the parking lot to the waters edge. You can buy ready made kayak dollies too.
Kayaks are great exercise and also give you a lot of freedom to get to spots that you can’t get to from shore and save you gas, registration fees , trailer issues, the need for a larger tow vehicle, and just the overall inherent hassle of boats. Kayaks give you more access to hard to get to spots because at least in my area, boat launch facilities are scarce and it used to be a very long run to get to our favorite spots.
I used to have a boat but prefer my kayak now because cleaning is simple, maintenance is almost non existant except for maybe a few straps and clips once in a while. Compare this to the slavery of owning and maintaining a boat, and I’m diving better spots too.

There are a ton of spots to hit from a kayak in the West Palm-Dania beach area. Anywhere from 15-100’ could easily be hit from the beach in a kayak. Most people I see kayak diving usually only do it around the 2nd and 3rd reef line in 30-60’ of water .5-1 mile off the beach.

A sit on top kayak is the best bet as you have to get in and out easily.

There is a group on the east coast of Florida known as Kayuba. Google them & check it out!

Don't even consider a sit-in kayak. Look for a nice, stable sit on top (SOT). Kayaks that you sit in are designed more for distance and speed; to gain that, you trade stability. A nice, stable SOT will be slower, but much easier to haul your gear and get in and out of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom