Geyer Bank trip report - 8/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300

Contributor
Reaction score
Diving from the SeaSearcher II, 16 divers visited Geyer Bank this weekend. The trip was somewhat unique in that it offered an opportunity for nine qualified divers to utilize Extended Range (i.e., trimix and decompression) techniques.

Altho two dives were scheduled at Geyer, only one was actually conducted. There are no mooring facilities at this seldom-dived site and the initial attempt to hook was less than successful. A second effort produced a secure anchorage and divers were treated to a most impressive display of fish life.

Excellent vis and a slight current were present on the pinnacle. A large sandbar shark and a trio of eagle rays greeted the first divers to arrive and within a few minutes the scene was thick with dense clouds of butterflyfish and triggerish. A huge sea turtle was found sleeping near the upline that was placed for deco divers. Working their way up the line, divers were strafed by waves of jacks and blue runners.

Following the Geyer Bank dive, the boat was relocated to Stetson Bank for Sunday's dives. Entering the water in the dark at 6am allowed divers to initially experience a night dive and then watch as the light from the rising sun produce a surreal effect on the sea bottom.

The midmorning dive was even more spectacular and produced sightings of more eagle rays, roughtail rays, a school of ~30 sharks, and a 12' silver manta ray.

Abundant wildlife coupled with completely GLASSY seas were the perfect recipe for a successful trip.

Cyklon,

Ain't that boat fun?! Good report. Could you detail Geyer Bank a little more. Thanks.

Regards,

When you say "trimix and decompression techniques" si they actually use mixed gases? Does the SeaSearcher II offer Nitrox or mixed gases or so you have to bring on all the tanks yourself?

Most Excellent Report!
What did you call the floor at?

Talking to “rigdiver” he mentioned there was a trip out Geyer Bank.

This is the kind of thing that many people dream about. Glad to hear everything went well. If you hear of any other adventures like this please give me a buzz.

Did you get any photos?

Was anyone diving rebreathers? I know that “rigdiver” dives an inspiration.
What part of Texas do you hang your hat?

Later, Andrew

This is very interesting,,,,would love to learn more.

Crazyduck:
Most Excellent Report!
What did you call the floor at?

Talking to “rigdiver” he mentioned there was a trip out Geyer Bank.

This is the kind of thing that many people dream about. Glad to hear everything went well. If you hear of any other adventures like this please give me a buzz.

Did you get any photos?

Was anyone diving rebreathers? I know that “rigdiver” dives an inspiration.
What part of Texas do you hang your hat?

Later, Andrew

We were asked to keep dives to a max of 130 and no more than 70 minutes run time. Geyer bank was pretty cool. Saw an Enormous Eagle Ray.

The Divemaster on the boat had an Inspiration that he used on at least one dive.Dont know if he was Rigdiver or not.

Ian, yes, Rigdiver is Bill, the Sr DM on that trip. I was the one of the other DM's on that trip, the bigger one.

It was a great trip and all of the divers were very courteous and understanding. Just a bit of information, we actually did hit the anchor on the first shot and 2 of the 16 divers actually dove the reef. The only problem was the boat swung which through the bearings off. So, after the first dive, we pulled up shop and made another go at it. This time we hit the side of Geyer, the vis was MUCH better, and the divers had NO problems seeing the top of the reef as they entered the water. Where we set a marker, which was right on the reef, it set in 127' of crystal blue water. There were Eagle Rays (I saw 4 - 1 solo and 3 flying in formation), a turtle, a Sandbar shark as well as a Nurse shark, and almost every kind of fish you could imagine. I use to think that Stetson was full of life, Geyer is truly an amazing dive. If you ever have the opportunity to make one of these RARE trips, it is well worth it. Thanks to Jesse Cancelmo (sp) for putting this trip together and for the quality of the divers that boarded. Looking forward to next year.

Thought I would kill two birds with one stone here: This was our weather conditions this trip and Bill (aka Rigdiver) about to jump in the pool with his Inspiration ReBreather.
BillatStetson.jpg

-Robert

OK, now I am green with envy!

That is AWESOME….

Thank you for sharing…

I need to hang with the Sea Searcher II and checkout this boat! Yeah man.

PS- I made this image my destop (now that is something to look at.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom