Getting to Tutukaka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife is giving a presentation at a medical educator's conference in Auckland next September. Of course, I'm going to accompany her as arm-candy and I'd love to try and get a few dives in while we're there. It looks like Poor Knight's Island is a no-brainer

I know nothing about diving in NZ so for starters:
  • Tutukaka (and Poor Knights Island) appears to be about 190 km from Auckland. I'd rather not rent a car what are my options?
  • Yukon Dive looks like they offer a 2 day/1 night liveaboard. Are there other dive options for something other than a 2 tank day trip?
  • If I establish a 200 km radius from Auckland, what other sites are worth considering?
Many thanks!

Hi JohnN,

There are several bus companies that offer travel from Auckland to Northland. I've taken the bus only once but it was modern, comfortable and a great place to view the scenery from the doubledecker bus. If you do this try to get on the bus early and head to the top front of the bus for best viewing.

In addition to Yukon Dive, Dive Tutukaka offers a choice of day trips and llive-aboard diving to the Poor Knights out of Tutukaka. They also offer accomodations or will pick you up at your hotel and bring you back afterwards. Check this: How to find us - Dive! Tutukaka.

A little further up North is Northland Dive also with accomodations. They dive the Canterbury warship wreck. Since this is a deep dive you will need the minimum of an advanced certificate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom