Getting to other side of the island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amoses

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in Coz tomorrow, and there for the next 7 days. If a person, or group of people (i'm by myself, but maybe some others from the dive boat might go?), wanted to spend the afternoon at Coconuts, what would be the best way to get there and back. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to get stranded there either.

If you don't want to rent a car you could hire a taxi. We hired a driver named Rafael who took us to Punta Sur, showed us around, and dropped us off at a restaurant/beach club and picked us up later. I think he charged us about $70 US but there was only two of us. We already knew him so we weren't worried about him forgetting to pick us up :wink:

the best way would be to just hire a taxi/van.

If you are just going to Coconuts and back, there is no reason to hire a cab for the afternoon. There will most likely be a taxi there waiting for you when you get ready to leave, or if you know about how long you are going to be, you could let the cabbie who brings you over know, and they will come back and get you.

If none of those scenarios work out, I'm sure Cuco ( the owner at Coconuts) can call one for you.

I love Coconuts, but there are quite a few other things to do (on the other side) in addition to Coconuts. I'd highly recommend renting a car for the day.

Typically I do this:
Go to Coconuts for lunch
Stop at a beach to sleep off the Blue Margarita's you drank at Coconuts
Stop at Punta Sur visit lighthouse/beach
Stop at Alberto's to watch the sunset

Most people drive right past one of the best beach spots, Punta Morena.
Check it out next time, best hammocks on the east side, good food, showers,etc.

Most people drive right past one of the best beach spots, Punta Morena.
Check it out next time, best hammocks on the east side, good food, showers,etc.

Punta Morena is actually the only beach on the East side that I have been too, and I do like it a lot. When my wife comes with me and we stay at the southern end of the island, we always rent a car and we would go there a lot in the afternoons. Very nice beach.

The day I went, we rented a Jeep @ the restaurant right across the street from the Grand Park Royale (I forget the name of it at the moment). I think it cost us something like $65-$70 for the day and it was a lot of fun. Open air driving along the Caribbean coast with the beautiful turquoise waters on your right and the salt in the air as you drive past. Probably the best time I had out of the water while I was there. Would definitely recommend!

I enjoy going over to Chen Rio on Sunday afternoons and then the Rasta Bar. If driving be careful of a of speed trap in the afternoons. On the transverse road near San Gervasio the speed reduces from 80 to 60 KPH and often they run THE Radar gun. In years past they ran it on the west side south of Cedral but for the last several I have only seen it in the afternoons on the transversal.

Mezcalitos > Coconuts

This reminds me of a rather sad "funny." Visitors to our island (Catalina off L.A.) all too frequently ask "Is there water on the other side of the island?" Head shake.

Back
Top Bottom