Getting to Bonaire from FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricardo V.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We've been traveling to Bonaire with a fair level or regularity over the past 10 years. Seems like routes from Miami to Bonaire are at a critical point just now.
Any intel on what's going on is welcome, as well as reasonable ways to still make the trek.
Last May, we flew Miami-Atlanta-Bonaire. Not bad; however, that route seems to be dwindling too.
Just now thinking about Miami-Curaçao, and then island hop with a local carrier.
Input and suggestions welcome.
Thank you,
Ricardo

The only flights that are working is United out of Newark, NJ or Houston, TX... Delta out of Atlanta,GA... Instel has gone bankrupt and only have a few planes still flying.. The planes are in need of their "C" and some need a "D" check and they have not paid the maintenance company...

Jim...

I think Mia to Cur then to Bon is your best bet. That's how I did it. I stayed a few days in Cur which is nice. There's good diving there as well. Not the same as Bon but still nice.

Thanks for the feedback Jim. I'm thinking Miami Curaçao will do it.
Elbig, how did you get to Bonaire? Insel air?

Ricardo:

Have you tried Curacao as a dive destination instead of Bonaire? I've only done Bonaire, but since you're talking about passing through anyway and airfare costs can get high, I wondered what you thought of that option.

Richard.

Stop over in Curcaco for the night with a relaxing dinner in town and an early fight to Bonnair is the way to go. Very nice hotel for arount $125. You avoid the crowds at the airport, you can do the checkout dive and possibly another and most have not even landed yet. Yes to a major US carrier to Curcaco and an inter island hop to Bonaire.

Remember its vacation.

Richard,
Haven't done any diving in Curaçao. I'm somewhat familiar with the ABCs, and would rather just focus on getting to Bonaire. I think the autonomy, less sprawl and overall dive appeal that Bonaire offers is unmatched. We enjoy night dives, particularly photographing night critters and having the advantage of knowing our way around is part of the deal.

It was so easy to get there from Miami. Hopefully things will even out soon. The route through Curaçao seams reasonable too.

Thank you for these suggestions and recommendations.

There are definitely some good dive sites in Curaçao. I wouldn't completely dismiss it. I did both and enjoyed both. Bonaire is better for diving. Curaçao is a nice place to visit as well. Bonaire is pretty much only diving (not that there is anything wrong with that).

The issue I have with going through Cur is the luggage restrictions. Switch to a smaller plane Cur to Bon and I can't get my gear (single tank and side mount) on board...too heavy as I'm following the US airlines 50lb. Bag restrictions....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom