Getting the best diving with Stuart's Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Since the options in Nassau are dwindling down to Stuart's Cove, I am curious about strategies to get the best diving with them. I called them and the representative specifically informed me that they do not cater to experienced divers. The Sea Safari that they advertise rarely goes out because of weather and it needs 16 people to sign up.

What has been your experience in getting decent dives with them, meaning decent bottom time (more than 30mins), interesting sites, etc?

Do you recommend morning vs afternoon?

Are there ways to get onto their smaller boats with more experienced divers?

Are there certain people that you recommend getting to know to make things better?

Sorry if I sound too whinny, I guess I got spoiled in Cozumel ;-)

Try the DPV wall flying. It runs a couple of times a week and is limited to six divers. They require advanced cert or 20 dives to get on and it is a total blast. Also, if you want to avoid the resort or cruise people, then you probably want to do the morning dives. As far as getting on the smaller boats, check at the counter to see if they are running multiple boats and request this on site.

blawler1:
Try the DPV wall flying. It runs a couple of times a week and is limited to six divers. They require advanced cert or 20 dives to get on and it is a total blast. Also, if you want to avoid the resort or cruise people, then you probably want to do the morning dives. As far as getting on the smaller boats, check at the counter to see if they are running multiple boats and request this on site.

That DPV does sound fun. Should we book that one in advance?

They will run additional DPV boats if demand is high. I did it during spring break a couple of years ago and there were only four or five divers. Its a really cool shark dive too as the wall dives are near the feeding sites. Also the shallow dive is near the Bond wrecks, a collection of planes, boats and movie props used in some of the 007 movies. The frame of the Vulcan bomber used in Thunderball is unrecognizable as it is grown over coral. On this dive you can imagine yourself in the climatic underwater battle in Thunderball. Pretty cool stuff.

We've had very good luck at Stuart Cove's. Average BT's about 40 to 50 minutes and no supervision beyond a site briefing and rollcall.

I believe that it's mostly in their perceptions of you. If they feel, and have seen, that you're not the average vacation diver (meaning your last dive was your cert 6 years ago) then you'll get all the slack in the world.

>Get to the registration counter early, before the lines build. Early. See rent a car, below.
>Get on the boat early, with the bare minimum- your gear, a towel and a small drybag. Coming aboard late, or with a mountain of stuff screams "newbie".
>Set up your gear. Know your lead in advance. Test both of your cylinders, and leave the weight pockets under the bench. Leaving the pockets in for the boat ride, again, screams....OMG...newbie...
>Then, while waiting for the rest of the boatload, shut up.
>Start suiting up early, so you can listen to the briefing politely; if they don't mention the time to be back on the boat, ask.
>If it's the first dive, they will have a depth/BT limit. Be nice and respect it. It will pay off later.
>As soon as the ladders hit the water, you should be, too.
>Be back at the (correct) boat at the appointed hour or BT.
>Did I mention shut up?
>If the crew was nice, tip them well. Word gets around. We budget in US $15 per person per boat trip.

By the second day, it's pretty apparent that we're "cut loose" by the staff, while they focus on the flailing vacation divers.

As for morning or afternoon dives, it kind of depends on the tides (good vis on a rising tide) the weather (rain in AM or PM), etc. When there, we dive both.

Rent a car. Compared to the total cost of the trip, it's a pittance, and it allows you your own transport from the hotel. I know they have shuttle busses, but they turn into wait-rush-rush-rush. Wait for the shuttle, rush to pack into it, rush to do the registration at the dive operation, rush into your appointed boat, rush to get off the boat and make a shuttle back to the hotel. Rent a car, and avoid all that. See get on the boat early above.

You can ask for an "experienced" boat when you check in. They seem to like having the flailers all on one boat, and the better divers on another.

One of their captains is bound and determined to hold your hand, even if you are incredibally experienced. I can't remember his name. If you get him, just ask for a different boat next time, it's no big deal to the ladies behind the registration counter.

Polite (and competent) goes a loooonnnggg way.

We only dive gas on the last day before flying the following day. It's a pain for them, although they have it, and expensive, so we only use it at the end, to reduce our loading.

They have DIN cylinders, just ask. This seems to be no trouble at all.

Stuart himself is very nice and approachable. If you need something, just ask; there will be a sonic boom that accompanies what you need. Actually almost all the staff, we found, was very, very helpful.

We dive there both morning and afternoon trips for a couple days straight. Pick up a Subway sandwich on the way out of town in the morning and you're set. The crews see this kind of diving tempo, and you will get more freedom.

Hope this helps!

All the best, James

James,

WOW!!! Great advice, thanks for taking the time to give me so many details. You pretty much answered all of my questions. The showing of respect and competence is good advice and I would hope always a given. I'm glad to hear that they support DIN, since I don't like using my adapter. We usally dive gas on the second dive to reduce fatigue, since we try to dive as much as possible. I hope that doesn't cause them too much pain.

P.S. Do you ever dive Lake Tahoe?

Brawler1,

Thanks, we will definitely sign up for that one.

We were very happy with Dive Dive Dive. Not a cattle boat service and very cool people. Cater to all levels.

citykid:
We were very happy with Dive Dive Dive. Not a cattle boat service and very cool people. Cater to all levels.

Yeah, they were actually my first choice, but when I called them the person I spoke with said they were unsure if they would be open. Also they are down to one boat, having sold the other one.

renpirate:
P.S. Do you ever dive Lake Tahoe?

Diving there on Sunday! Whoo hoo! Ok, so it's only Sand Harbor, but what heck, it's wet!

Anyone else going to be there?

Andy, yes we hop into Lake Tahoe about 1 dive day every couple months. Rather chilly right now.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom