Getting Started!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello ScubaBoard people!

I've been lurking here for a little bit, but now that I'm seriously thinking about getting certified I decided it's about time I make an account.

I'll be going to do one of those Discover Scuba session things in a pool in a couple of weeks, just to try it out before I decide to plunk down the cash to get certified. I've always wanted to try it out and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it, but I want to be really sure first.

One of the barriers for not getting certified sooner is the cost. (I know what you're going to say, scuba isn't a cheap sport!) $600 for the class, pool sessions and four check-out dives, plus equipment rental, plus equipment I need to by makes it at least $1000. That seems a bit expensive... Worse comes to worse I'll wait til next summer when I graduate from college (and hopefully have a bit more cash in my pocket!) to get certified. I'll probably be taking a vacation down south then :)

Anyway, what should I expect for the Discover Scuba thing? Will they teach me stuff, or do they reserve that for the OW course, strap the equipment on me and let me loose? I'd at least like to learn the basics about what the hell I'm doing.

Also, when it comes to equipment, I'm a 6 foot 3 inch tall woman. How screwed am I? (heh)

Hope to stick around and get my "c-card" soon! Thanks :)
-Emily

Last edited:
Welcome to SB intrepidsquidkid! $1000 seems a bit pricey for everything. We do everything class/rental/books/etc. for $375 and all you need is mask, fins, snorkel, (boots), which is another $175 roughly. The Discover Scuba class varies from agencies but typically a general overview of the equipment, some basic instruction, and some pool time with a divemaster or instructor. As for the gear, it depends on other measurements as well as height but you will be able to get everything that you need.

Welcome to SB intrepidsquidkid! $1000 seems a bit pricey for everything. We do everything class/rental/books/etc. for $375 and all you need is mask, fins, snorkel, (boots), which is another $175 roughly. T

$375 for academics, pool, open water, including all materials and gear rental? That's pretty cheap.

OP - yes, scuba isn't for the financially impaired. Don't blindly pay a high price... but don't automatically go for the cheapest deal you can find. All classes/shops/instructors are not the same. There might be a reason one commands $1,000... and another can only get $375.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom