Getting Started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A local volunteer fire company has assembled and equipped a river rescue squad within the past 18 months. Now there seems to be some interest brewing in the idea of putting together a dive team as well. The challenge is knowing where to start. Funding is going to be a big issue but we need to figure out what funds are needed before we can go after them. The few divers that are associated with the fire company have recreational certs only at this time but we would like to include the training in the funding.

How do we go about getting started and getting real figures for the funding needed? We are in south central PA so we would be looking at rivers, streams, ponds and lakes of varying condition.

Call DRI, or LGS and get a quote for the number of people you want to train. I'd also call some PSD equipment suppliers and get a quote for enough gear to outfit said team, and any spares you WILL need.

Day to day operational costs such as fuel, vehicle costs / maintenance, SCUBA gas fills, tank hydros, regulator / Drysuit maintenance, etc. can be planed to some degree, but will likely be more of a fluid expense.

my suggestion is get the class ( DRI ) then sit down and you now better what equipment after taking the class.
go back ten years think about your area , the times you needed a dive team and start from there. most equipment is dry suit winter diving , wet suit , reg and possibly full face msk also you have to decide weather your going to to Hazmat diving (OH by the way a car in water is considered Hazmat) oil , gas ect ect ect .

Thanks for the insight. I will present this to the guys at the fire company and start putting a plan together. Hopefully we can get enough support and funds to get this going.

Dive Rescue International has several publications including a book on how to start a dive team and the PSD bible, Encyclopedia of Underwater Investigations. You should also research funding options, such as grants.

Getting with another agency with a team will also benefit you (learn from their mistakes).

Training is the most important. There are several PSD training agencies, all with excellent information. Most of the courses are discussed in one way or another here on this forum and other boards and groups. Don't go operational until you get the proper training and are properly equipped.

Ask a way here on issues that pop up 9there will be many). This board is a wealth of knowledge.

And finally, welcome aboard!!

I can help you out if your interested. We train dive teams as well as own a shop. We do our certs and training out of Willow springs. We trained and set up about 50 depts in the area and work on grants for gear as well. Send me your contact info if your interested and I'll put the divemaster in contact with you. Were also doing a pig roast at willow lador day with alot of local fire dept dive team members in attendance.

Thanks for the offer. I will speak with the other gentleman at the fire house that is helping me and I will let you know. Don't know if I will be able to make the pig roast but I will see what I can do!

Back
Top Bottom