Getting Started on CCR...Road map to CCR+OC or CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azhar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Dear All,

I was advised by an instructor that if I wish to go beyond 50mtrs then it is better to move to CCR and drop OC. His main concern was saving on gas. However I came to know that CCR per dive cost is also expensive but compensate in extended bottom time. kindly comment if this is true or I am missing some point.

Secondly I am currently PADI OWD and with an ultimate goal to be CCR Full Trimix Diver. Can any one help me in choosing an optimized route/path in certifications to get from PADI OWD to CCR Full Trimix and on which unit. I am also not interested in PADI rebreather program as in my opinion the agency is more into "resort style" diving and with not much serious attitude.

Please also mention an ideal amount of time I should spend on a certain level. I am not in rush and just getting certified without perfection is not my plan.

Regard's :)

The best advice I can give you is just to dive.... If you're profile is accurate I'd spend some time getting your fundamentals down before thinking of going deeper. Find an experienced instructor for AOW and enjoy the diving within recreational limits for a bit before moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can go beyond 50M with OC, SCR or CCR.

OC is more difficult with gas switches, etc.
SCR abit easier (Kiss GEM for example)
CCR the easiest, but most expensive.

I know of one lady that went for AOW straight to CCR.

Myself, I went from OC to SCR, and soon to CCR.

I love my GEM because I can dive with OC folks, and never be the guy to call the dive on low air. Soon I'llbe certified to 160ft on the GEM, and late January I take my Mod 1 CCR class.

With my SCR, I'll probably never go OC again and use teh CCR for really deep deep dives, or just really long dives.

I'm a mix instructor & rebreather instructor. I advise folks contemplating technical diving to look at purpose first. This means what are you going to be doing beyond 50 meters? Accessibility to areas beyond 50m, finances ($$$$), family, decision-making skills, relative fitness and time are all factors to consider. Having been in the tech side for a while - it's cool to go deep and do something most folks cannot. That said the afore mentioned factors always come into play.

As per PADI - market share is what they are all about. Personally, most folks on the rec. side of rebreathers might want to bimble about a few times on rebreathers , but most will not make the investment needed to be adequate and truly proficient RB users.

X

Main purpose is to get into wreck diving. Without having the complication of handling multiple tanks and gas switches. Only finance and fitness is the issue. What is the optimal/minimum fitness level for RB or Tech diving?

Rebreathers will make wreck diving, and especially penetration easier and safer. The overhead rust that you dislodge during penetration was always an issue with OC penetration. If you're doing deep work you're going to be dragging extra bottles with you anyway so the idea of less bottles is moot. You can always stage bottles along the path, or outside. Personally, I always like carrying bailout with me on a RB penetration. A 40 Luxfer tucks in nicely.

Your cardio., muscular strength should be more than average. The deeper stuff can be very aerobic and stressful. I work out regularly and focus on aerobic exercises. I lift weights too. You need it as you are often lifting tanks, dragging yourself down a anchor line, or other. One thing with a RB you never want to get anywhere close to huffing and puffing. It's diving where being calm and maintaining a breathing cadence is important. Other can advise on this.

On a ending note - deep wreck diving, and especially penetration requires a lot of training. Excellent training. As a guy who used to dive the deep wrecks of the NE ( Doria / U Who etc.) this niche of tech is not for the uninitiated. However, the rewards are many and there is nothing quite like being the first guy into a compartment that hasn't seen a human in decades. :)

X

Managing bottles during a dive is one aspect. Logistics and oxygen corrosion of the wreck is an other. Anyway back to the topic. What should e my ideal route to CCR Full Trimix?

Managing bottles during a dive is one aspect. Logistics and oxygen corrosion of the wreck is an other. Anyway back to the topic. What should e my ideal route to CCR Full Trimix?

I this day and age I would say once you have a good grasp of basic diving skills, a decent understanding of nitrox including how to calculate equivalent air depth and run Dalton's law equations without using a set of cheat cards you could move on to basic CCR. Then after at least 30 or so CCR dives decompression procedures CCR, then after an addition period of 30-50 CCR dives including properly planned deco dives then you could begin trimix training.
You should also consider wreck training once you get experience on your CCR if that is your goal as well.
These numbers are an absolute minimum in my opinion and YMMV depending on your comfort and ease at which your transition to CCR. Diving a rebreather is quite different than OC and sometimes more experienced divers have difficulty unlearning years of a different skill set.

I used to tell people they should have hundreds of open circuit dives before they consider CCR but time they are a changin'

Last edited:
I this day and age I would say once you have a good grasp of basic diving skills, a decent understanding of nitrox including how to calculate equivalent air depth and run Dalton's law equations without using a set of cheat cards you could move on to basic CCR. Then after at least 30 or so CCR dives decompression procedures CCR, then after an addition period of 30-50 CCR dives including properly planned deco dives then you could begin trimix training.
You should also consider wreck training once you get experience on your CCR if that is your goal as well.

I used to tell people they should have hundreds of open circuit dives before they consider CCR but time they are a changin'

I still prefer having lot of dives and understanding on basics first before moving on. Just didn't had the approximate idea that how long MINIMUM does it take. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom