Getting sick on a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TxHockeyGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I thought I'd post this because after talking to a few other certified divers it became clear not everyone was taught how to handle this. So here's what happened.

I had already completed 3 dives for the day had just finished up having some lunch when we decided to get back in and do another dive. Before the dive I was having some sinus drainage tickling the back of my throat but had no problems clearing earlier so I thought nothing of it. Well about 10 minutes into the dive I got sick underwater. First thing I did was reach up to take the reg out of my mouth when I remembered what my instructor told me back during OW. If you get sick underwater as soon as you're done you're going to gasp for air, it's a reflex action that you can't prevent so don't take your reg out. I can't say I enjoyed the experience and I did abort after feeding the fish but I'm still here. I'm pretty sure the cool dry air from my tank just irritated the back of my throat and caused a gag reflex. I hope this information can be of use to someone.

Thanks for posting this. It happened to me and I just went into training mode. We were taught two possibilities - either through the reg or free flow the reg in the corner of the mouth - to deal with the inevitable gasp in after heaving out. And the instructor's routine about how you always have your spare reg and then the spare reg of your buddy.

What could have been a frightening and potentially dangerous situation was dealt with. Buddy was close, brief signal, buddy takes care of depth and orientation, clamp reg in mouth with one hand, other hand on own spare reg in case need to swap if first one gets blocked. One two three heave. Breathe, reg not blocked. Repeat the process a few times. Feel much better, signal reassurance to disgusted-looking buddy, continue slow shallow dive.

Big thanks to instructors for clear information. Throwing up is not that unusual. But - something I wasn't taught. I was faced with a problem back on the boat. The reg had been borrowed, should I tell its owner or not? Answer :shakehead

I have done it both ways. I took in a lot of water taking the reg out of my mouth. It was better throwing up into it. A really good cleaning afterwards was in order but no problems.
this is an ongoing problem for me as if I feel sick on the surface it does not get better once I am in the water. So if I feel naseous, I will call a dive.

I've seen two people get sick underwater. Both through the reg. No problems. If the reg gets clogged up, switch to the Octo and clear the primary.

I've tried both way.
- Vomitting through reg, I didn't feel good about that, the reg would get stuck.
- Took out the reg first, vomit, and have fresh air ready when I put it back. Prefer this way.
- Since I'm very prone to seasick, dive more, I've learn more to pop pills, so no more vomitting. Hopefully.

Glad to hear that you went into training mode, your instructor did a good job.
I have only gotten sick on the boat, but some day I'm sure I will get it underwater also.

One question , how was the sea life in the area after you chumed the water ?
Jim Breslin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom