Getting pony bottle fills in Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I live in the US and will be diving in Greece next month. I plan on taking my pony bottle and I was curious if I'll be able to get it filled in Europe. While my pony is certified by US and Canadian standards, Europe has its own. Anyone have experience taking tanks with them across the pond to Europe?

Is it even worth it considering the weight and I assume you will be flying?

i'm sure you could rent a pony here. then you wouldn't have to worry about us v euro standard.

I live in the US and will be diving in Greece next month. I plan on taking my pony bottle and I was curious if I'll be able to get it filled in Europe. While my pony is certified by US and Canadian standards, Europe has its own. Anyone have experience taking tanks with them across the pond to Europe?

When I looked at taking my pony to the US it soon became cheaper to buy a new one and throw it away when I finished the trip.

Speak to the operator your planning to use in Greece they may accommodate you. If you were coming to the UK it would be a NO.

I'm back. I wound up taking it with me, and getting it filled was no issue. The dive operator owner was certified to do hydro tests as well, and with the newly certified sticker, there were no issues. I agree that it will vary by country. Didn't charge me either for it. Since I did 8 dives with him, I think he did okay. :wink:

Dive gear is often cheaper in the US (from my observations, I'm sure there are exceptions). I did look at the price of the same sized pony bottles, and they were not cheap. Since I was taking all my own diving gear, I just opted for the second suitcase, paying $100 for one way, 75 Euros for the other. That was still cheaper than a new bottle.

Noted when I come to the UK to dive the Scapa Flow (though I'd either be on a rebreather or twins).

When I looked at taking my pony to the US it soon became cheaper to buy a new one and throw it away when I finished the trip.

Speak to the operator your planning to use in Greece they may accommodate you. If you were coming to the UK it would be a NO.

I'm back. I wound up taking it with me, and getting it filled was no issue. The dive operator owner was certified to do hydro tests as well, and with the newly certified sticker, there were no issues. I agree that it will vary by country. Didn't charge me either for it. Since I did 8 dives with him, I think he did okay. :wink:

Dive gear is often cheaper in the US (from my observations, I'm sure there are exceptions). I did look at the price of the same sized pony bottles, and they were not cheap. Since I was taking all my own diving gear, I just opted for the second suitcase, paying $100 for one way, 75 Euros for the other. That was still cheaper than a new bottle.

Noted when I come to the UK to dive the Scapa Flow (though I'd either be on a rebreather or twins).
It was the extra charges for taking a cylinder into and out of the US, @ US$150 a time, that killed the idea.

Few operators have cylinder testing capability in the UK. It normally takes around two weeks to get a test done - on the understanding that if it fails you don't get the cylinder back.

Glad you had a good time.

you are talking pony or deco bottle? What size? Thanks

The UK is a different beast... it's a mess! I've seen cylinders not being filled because they had the wrong colour!
But there are places where people actually have a brain. And your cylinders could be filled, even if from the US. My cave instructor had some and used them until he needed a hydro. Then no chance. Apparently the standards are different in the US and UK and they can't figure out ho to test them :p

Glad to hear that it was possible to ship your pony over and use it. I am pretty sure certain parts of the EU have more lax rules than other areas.

A good friend of mine shipped his two 100 cu ft HP cylinders to UK when he left Dubai last year, he is considering shipping them back to Dubai next time he comes over or taking them to Spain.

Small pony bottle 13 to 19 cu ft over here in UAE costs $US270 and anything larger is around $US330

Back
Top Bottom