Getting Narced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CantDiveEnough

Registered
Reaction score
How does one get narced? I read that it is more likely to happen between 80-100ft. Now are nonexperienced divers more apt to getting it? I got certified last sept, ive been on a handful of dives to 70(not counting my cert dives). This summer, I am planning a dive trip where majority of the dives are 90-100. Should I be worried about it? Thanks...

Everyone that dives has been Narc'd. Some people are more susceptable than others. It's just a fact. But follow the link above, you will learn some good stuff. You should have learned about the effects of Nitrogen Narcosis and how it happens in your Open Water class.

"Narced" should be symptoms of Nitrogen Narcosis
CantDiveEnough:
How does one get narced? I read that it is more likely to happen between 80-100ft. Now are nonexperienced divers more apt to getting it? I got certified last sept, ive been on a handful of dives to 70(not counting my cert dives). This summer, I am planning a dive trip where majority of the dives are 90-100. Should I be worried about it? Thanks...

Hello readers:

Nitrogen Narcosis

Nitrogen is a gaseous anesthetic, similar to ether (see below). All persons will fell the effect of compressed nitrogen, but not all at the same pressure. This is true also of anesthetics used during surgery. One reason that an anesthesiologist is always present with the patient is that the effect is variable.

Narcosis from General Anesthetics

How doe it happen? The molecular mechanism of action of most drugs is currently not known. This might surprise many readers. [The “mechanism” of DNA was evident from x-ray crystallography. This has not been true of other molecules, e.g., how enzymes actually work or the molecular working of drugs. ]:06:

It is known that general, inhalation anesthetics follow a relationship of lipid/water solubility ratios. [Inhalation anesthetics are, e.g., ether, chloroform, nitrous oxide, xenon, and nitrogen (under pressure).] This is really a simple relationship based on physical chemistry and does not necessarily imply a biophysical mechanism. Nonetheless, lipid membranes in the body were the focus of many theories for almost a century.

Possibly the most famous of these was the “critical volume hypothesis” which stated that anesthesia was the result of molecules dissolving in the membrane, increasing its volume, and causing the closing of ion channels. Conversely, some current theories focus on proteins, which historically was the first suggest site [1875]. This potency relationship of anesthetics follows the same pattern for the quenching of luminescence in the compounds for in fireflies (luciferin).

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom