Getting my own gear BP/W - BC question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dedezelic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’ve searched but can’t quite find an answer to this question. I’m starting to put together my own gear and after the basics I want to start with a BC or BP/W. Having tried jacket and back inflate, I found I prefer back inflate. Obviously reading a lot in here, the comments lead me towards a BP/W system. Here’s my question: assuming I’ll be using rental regs for now (reason I want my own BC is comfort with what I have and not changing every time I dive), how do you handle the hoses for the octo/spg, etc. if they’re not your own and standard rec gear? If this is a dumb question please feel free to let me know. This will be most likely warm water FL/Caribbean diving with a 3mm shorty or suit. I hope my question makes sense. Thanks.

Really no different than with your own BCD... I use a clip to hold the SPG/console to a D-ring (the clip can easily be popped of the hose and put on a rental reg if needed). And for the Octo, use the holder of your choice clipped wherever you prefer. If I use a traditional setup, I just tuck a loop of the hose into a piece of inner tube on the shoulder strap. Primary in your mouth, and just know what length inflator hose you need to make sure before you pick it up that the rental will reach (a couple inches long is no big deal, too short gets weird fast).

Respectfully,

James

Really no different than with your own BCD... I use a clip to hold the SPG/console to a D-ring (the clip can easily be popped of the hose and put on a rental reg if needed). And for the Octo, use the holder of your choice clipped wherever you prefer. If I use a traditional setup, I just tuck a loop of the hose into a piece of inner tube on the shoulder strap. Primary in your mouth, and just know what length inflator hose you need to make sure before you pick it up that the rental will reach (a couple inches long is no big deal, too short gets weird fast).

Respectfully,

James

OK, that makes sense, thanks!

I tie a bolt snap to the wing's corrugated hose and clip it to the D-ring. A standard yellow rubber octo loop on the other shoulder D-ring, and a hose clip on the left hip D-ring for the console.

I'd take the money you save by going with a bp/w over a jacket and buy a decent regset.

My favorite online dive shop Piranha Dive Manufacturing, for all your diving needs. is near you in Wesley Chapel. Call and ask for Randy. Tell him Scubaboard sent you and ask for his advice. I'd recommend their hogarthian/DIR harness with a Stainless Steel plate, a 24lb wing and a HOG D1X regset with SPG. But listen to what he tells you. They will rig everything for you. And maybe fit it? I don't know if they allow in-person visits.

The whole setup should be around $700 and the only thing you still need is a wrist mount computer. And maybe a couple of trim pockets for weights if you don't want to use a weight belt.

I'd take the money you save by going with a bp/w over a jacket and buy a decent regset.

My favorite online dive shop Piranha Dive Manufacturing, for all your diving needs. is near you in Wesley Chapel. Call and ask for Randy. Tell him Scubaboard sent you and ask for his advice. I'd recommend their hogarthian/DIR harness with a Stainless Steel plate, a 24lb wing and a HOG D1X regset with SPG. But listen to what he tells you. They will rig everything for you. And maybe fit it? I don't know if they allow in-person visits.

The whole setup should be around $700 and the only thing you still need is a wrist mount computer. And maybe a couple of trim pockets for weights if you don't want to use a weight belt.
Thanks I’ll give them a call.

While I recommend Hogarthian harnesses, if you didn't want a single piece of webbing, I'd recommend looking at sub gravity's harness: Adjustable Harness System - Subgravity

Nice.... expensive, but nice....

I make my own, and have done a style like that, but you don't need the cost of both sides releasing.....

Both adjusting, yes, but both opening, no....

YMMV

You're getting a lot of good advice here, but I would just mention that its not a bad idea to rent gear to get an idea of what you like. Find a shop with good rental gear and get someone to spend time with you explaining the different rigs. You'll be able to make a more informed choice of what really suits you.

, but you don't need the cost of both sides releasing.....

A former student of mine in his mid 70s would disagree. I'm pretty sure with the injuries I've suffered from different activities that when I reach that age, I'll disagree as well.

Back
Top Bottom