Getting my first gear soon. Opinions needed please. Suggestions welcome.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melanie White

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay I got certified last November in Jamaica. Now headed to Cozumel in September. Need all my gear.

So far my picks are leaning

Aqua Lung Pear Womens BCD
Aqua Lung Legend LX Twilight Supreme DIN Regulator or Aqua Lung Legend LX Twilight Regulator
Aqua Lung Legend Octo
Aqua Lung Shot FX Fins

I know I still need to pick out boots and computer and clicker (addresses one of my fears of not getting someones attention under water if needed hopefully never needed).

Those are fine choices. Lots of people like all different pieces of gear for different reasons. What makes you like these?

Those are fine choices. Lots of people like all different pieces of gear for different reasons. What makes you like these?

First thing I wanted a bcd designed for women. I was certified and dived in one made for a man last time it wasn't comfortable at all. Once I picked that out I looked up the regulators and which ones women liked better. Then loved the idea of smaller and lighter weight. Then I like things to match so read up on the fins had great reviews.
Going next Saturday to try on in the pool at local shop.
He does not carry the mask I am considering. This is most important in Jamaica it was always leaking was not enjoyable at all. I am considering the Atomic Venom Frameless Mask Red but I cant try it on no local dealers.

If you'll be diving in this part of the world mostly - you'll find a pre-dominance of Yoke tanks except in Cave Country. So if you go DIN - buy the Yoke adapter which technically adds a failure point.

The best noisemaker I ever heard was with a DM once - he carried a box wrench on a lanyard attached to his bcd - when he banged that on his tank - you heard it....

I don't hear those quackers very well underwater - one of my buddies has a good one but she winds up waving at me instead. On the surface is a different story - it's is so loud she warns us to duck below the water b4 she sets it off.
If you have any desire to get the boat crew's attention - it works.

Legends are nice gear. If you're going to spend that kind of money look at Atomic Aquatics also. It's what I bought instead of Aqualung or Scubapro. One of my delers sells both Aomic and Aqualung - they recommended Atomic. The service interval is better and there's no annual warranty requirement like with Aqualung.

Get what you can get serviced locally though. There's always that last minute adjustment needed the day b4 your trip somewhere. And get what you like - you can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
If you'll be diving in this part of the world mostly - you'll find a pre-dominance of Yoke tanks except in Cave Country. So if you go DIN - buy the Yoke adapter which technically adds a failure point.

The best noisemaker I ever heard was with a DM once - he carried a box wrench on a lanyard attached to his bcd - when he banged that on his tank - you heard it....

I don't hear those quackers very well underwater - one of my buddies has a good one but she winds up waving at me instead. On the surface is a different story - it's is so loud she warns us to duck below the water b4 she sets it off.
If you have any desire to get the boat crew's attention - it works.

Legends are nice gear. If you're going to spend that kind of money look at Atomic Aquatics also. It's what I bought instead of Aqualung or Scubapro. One of my delers sells both Aomic and Aqualung - they recommended Atomic. The service interval is better and there's no annual warranty requirement like with Aqualung.

Get what you can get serviced locally though. There's always that last minute adjustment needed the day b4 your trip somewhere. And get what you like - you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks that's a point in going with the Supreme
I'm looking at the Atomic Aquatics is there one you recommend ?
I love the wrench idea wonder if it would be ok on checked bags. It's one of my worse fears down there. I won't get someone's attention if needed.
Second issue was the darn mask hoping the one I picked out doesn't leak no one around here sales it but awesome reviews. The Atomic Aquatics Venom Frameless mask.

Melanie. Those choices are beautiful and definitely appeal to the feminine side. :) especially those twilight regulators. If you have the money and its what you want, go for it. Just make sure the BCD is comfortable for you.

Those are all fairly expensive choices and its more cosmetic and packaging then function. There are choices that will work as well and at cheaper prices but might not look as fetching. :wink: But in the end its what you want (and what fits you) that counts.

All Atomic models breathe the same - even their octo/inflator.

The differences are the add-on features and the material the reg body is made of.

The add-ons as you move up in price included a 2nd stage swivel hose (nice - I have one) and a 1st stage turret - it doesn't move much when there's air in the system but it helps for hose routing.

A comparable to the Legend is probably the B2. It's a chrome/brass 1st stage and all Titanium 2nd stage.

The Z2/Z3 are Zirconium over Brass, the M1 is more of a cave reg and the ST1 is all stainless. The top of the line is the T3 - it has all the bling and is all Ti. It's also $1750...

I've owned a Z, B, and T - they all breathe the same.

This is just what I've read but Atomics are supposed to be better breathers than Aqualung if you go deeper. Mine have been down to 162' without issue.

One quirk about Atomic is they have a seat saver orifice - it takes the pressure off the seat prolonging it's life - why they can offer 2 year/300 dive service intervals. However since it's open when non-pressurized - if you soak your regs water can travel into the 1st stage. The simple solution is to keep one stage higher than the other while soaking - or in my case I drape the hose over the faucet on the rinse tank.

A wrench in checked should be OK, I carry my knife in checked...

I owned one of those solid balls on a bungee cord banger - seemed to work until I left it on a rental tank once.

I don;t know the Venom mask but generally soft-skirt masks seal better.

It'a all relative - I have a $100 Tusa - if I look up and to the side quickly - sometimes a little water seeps in. I also bought a $20 Sherwood soft-skirt to keep in a pocket as a backup - it never leaks...

I always tell people to try/buy a mask that fits. If it leaks you won't be comfortable no matter what you paid.

Melanie. Those choices are beautiful and definitely appeal to the feminine side. :) especially those twilight regulators. If you have the money and its what you want, go for it. Just make sure the BCD is comfortable for you.

Those are all fairly expensive choices and its more cosmetic and packaging then function. There are choices that will work as well and at cheaper prices but might not look as fetching. :wink: But in the end its what you want (and what fits you) that counts.

Any recommendations I just know I'm 5 foot 4 last time was in a small men's needed small but I'm large breasted so small had to do but wasn't comfortable so I figured I would get a female one.
Doesn't help my favorite color is purple lol.

I don;t know the Venom mask but generally soft-skirt masks seal better.

It'a all relative - I have a $100 Tusa - if I look up and to the side quickly - sometimes a little water seeps in. I also bought a $20 Sherwood soft-skirt to keep in a pocket as a backup - it never leaks...

I always tell people to try/buy a mask that fits. If it leaks you won't be comfortable no matter what you paid.

I completely agree in Jamacia they only had 2 different mask neither worked. Worse time going down it was filling faster than I could empty only time I bailed on a dive and went up. It was also only my second dive I was still be certified that one didn't count made it up next day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom