Getting from Bangkok to Lanta...........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Junky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Well, I've decided to head back to Lanta for another season, and am just planning my flights back. The tricky bit is working out the best way to get from Bangkok down to Lanta. I've been looking into flights and so far have come up with the following options:
  • Bangkok Airways - Phuket - THB 2,475
  • Air Asia - Krabi - THB 855
  • Thai Air - Krabi - THB 3,915

Now, I know there seems to be an obvious choice there, but Air Asia have a 15kg luggage restriction, and I'm pretty sure they're quite strict on this.
As for the Bangkok Airways option, that would be much more viable if I knew when the ferries run from Phuket to Lanta. Any ideas ? I've a feeling they stop running through the low season, does anyone know if they'll be running by Sept 12th ?
And the Thai Air one is the priciest, but it does get me to Krabi, from where I can always go by road if the ferry to Lanta isn't running yet.

Anyone got any other info/ideas for airlines to check ?

Cheers for any help/ideas !! :D

Last time I flew Air Asia down to Phuket they were charging 70bhat per kilo excess baggage. I had 10 kilos extra and they therefore charged me 700 bhat - a whole £10 (US$20) ...

Hi homy,

Check with Air Asia what they charge for over weight. May still be your cheapest bet to go with them after all.

Good to see you heading back out here again!

limbo:
Hi homy,

Check with Air Asia what they charge for over weight. May still be your cheapest bet to go with them after all.

Just for reference - that flight I was talking about was February this year; I've just checked the Air Asia website and it looks like they've racked it up to a whopping 165 bhat per kilo for all Thai flights. That means excess baggage of 10 kilos will STILL cost less than 1 kilo of British Airways excess...!

Yep, I was just checking that myself ! Wow, that's the cheapest excess baggage charge ever - even with the increase ! Looks like we have a winner ! Cheers for the tip-off.

limbo:
Just can't seem to stay away !! :D

Maybe you could check out Nok Air (www.nokair.com)?
"Carriage of diving equipment is accepted. Weight of diving equipment is included in normal checked baggage allowance, and is entitled of 20 kg free of charge"
Have fun @ lanta!

scubasaurus:
Maybe you could check out Nok Air !
Cheers for that one - never heard of them before. Looks pretty good, except the flight time. The flight to Bangkok I'm looking at lands at 12:25pm, and they only seem to fly down to Krabi in the mornings. I'd prefer to skip on spending a night in Bangkok if possible. I'll look into it a bit more though. :D

Anyone know what's happening with domestic flights these days ? Are they still going from the old airport, or the new one now, or a bit of both ?

scubasaurus:
"Carriage of diving equipment is accepted. Weight of diving equipment is included in normal checked baggage allowance, and is entitled of 20 kg free of charge"
It's THB 331 to Krabi or THB 831 for 'Nok Plus'......
Nok Air:
In addition to the larger seats, Nok Plus passengers will enjoy the privilege of being able to change their travel date without a change fee*. Also Nok Plus passengers will receive a free snack on board, newspapers, and benefit from a total of 30kg baggage allowance as opposed to 15kg in economy class.
They fly from Don Muang in the evenings, but that means a big taxi ride accross the city, I think.

Nok Air T&C:
7.4 Diving Equipment: Carriage of diving equipment is accepted. Weight of diving equipment is included in normal checked baggage allowance, and is entitled of 20 kg free of charge.

7.5 Items Require Special Handling: Such items as surfboard, archery equipment, bicycle, fishing equipment, which require special handling, are entitled of 200 Baht per piece even though total weight does not exceed 15 kg (the weight of these items will not be included with normal checked baggage).

7.8 Free Baggage Allowance: You may transport free of charge checked baggage up to a maximum weight of 15 kg (30 kg for Nok Plus), subject to the conditions and limitations contained in our Terms and Conditions.

7.9 Excess Checked Baggage: You are not entitled to transport baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance. If, in our absolute discretion, baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance is accepted for carriage, you shall pay a charge for the carriage of that excess baggage at the rate of 50 Baht per Kilogram.
Hmmmm, seems a pretty good choice, apart from that flight time !!! Anyone know how far the airports are apart with regards to taxi fare and rough journey time ?

It'll be a fair bit through the city, especially arriving midday (slow traffic). Go to the arrivals platform and jump in a cab after making sure they put the meter on! It most liekly won't be more than 200 Baht (incl. potential express charges), you will have plenty of time to travel between the two airports. You'll be stuck in Krabi for the night though.

Back
Top Bottom