Getting first BC need some advice, Zeagle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunfire85

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, before I start asking my questions I want to say that I have searched the forums and have read about this topic before...

I am soon going to purchase my first BC. Here's some quick physical stuff. I am 6'0", 185lbs with an athletic build, I'm a thrower in track so I'm not too big but muscular.

Since I'm in the market for my first BC, I suppose it would help to describe what type of diving I will be doing and what I expect. Right now I am starting to get into Nitrox and as such diving past 150ft and will soon like to be exploring ocean wrecks, caves, and night dives frequently since I really enjoy night diving. I enjoy diving deeper wrecks i.e. past 145 ft so obviously I want to be able to have twin tanks. Now for my diving, I have dove with dry suits and wet suits so I would like to have my BC being compatible with my dry suit since I live in NY and I enjoy diving all year round. I would also in the future when I get more $$$ to start getting into tech diving for wrecks and caves so thats something to consider....

Ok, based on the above information and having dove with a Zeagle brigade before I enjoyed the brigade but having read all the great posts on here, I am starting to think maybe the Ranger would be better. I really want my BC to have good lift, 44lbs and up, and enjoy the metal d rings on the Brigade which I feel will be useful when it comes to tech diving and extra tanks. However, I am not totally set on a Zeagle but have dove with them before and like them. I am willing to spend up to about $550 on my BC. So, can I get some advice from the community based on my needs and future plans for diving. I am aware that I may have to settle for two different BC based on my needs but since $$$ is an issue, I would like to have one BC. So, any advice comments and any other BC's out there you guys feel I should take a look at?:confused:

While usually I don't do this. And sorry if you haven't asked but... For once it does actually sound like you may need to try a back plate and wing. You would probably need two wings, one for dbls and one for single tank dives but they can both use the same backplate and harness.

Based on what you are stating...Your diving beyond your training. right now. Your're going or planning on going past the rec NDL of 130 feet. Do you have any idea what narcosis is? DO you know the effects of narcosis? Have you ever been narced before?....Recreational Nitrox is to extend bottom time on NDL dives.

You are venturing into dark waters. You will need to re-evaluate your dive training and go towards more technical training. As Advanced Nitrox and stage deco. The move into Trimix. Which will require you to use Doubles, Stage bottles and more technical gear to reflect the deeper dives your going to embark on.

It is a whole other dive game.

Forget Zeagle or any other recreational back inflation BC.

Your main choice and only one is a back plate and wing. This will be the BEST and most suited to the style of diving you are going to be doing. The back plate can be easily adjusted to what ever type of diving you will do. Single tank diving or twins.

I would start with singles since cash is an issue. You can always get a nice used twin bladder later on. Once you get doubles set up.

As I mentioned, you are going to have to re-evaluated your gear purchases accordingly. And your training. Based on what you stated...your diving way beyond the NDL. recreational nitrox...does not consider 150 feet!..It is decompression diving. So get the right training for it. and the right gear.

I agree with the other posts. If I understand what you said correctly, you're already doing dives past 145', using a single tank and on air? All while only having 25 to 49 dives. If this is the case you need to get more training and more experience, as most people will tell you, Nitrox is not the gas of choice for dives past 150. Aside from the training you'll need to safely do those dives, I agree with the other guys that a backplate and wing is the route to take if you want to dive doubles and get into tech.

scarefaceDM:
Based on what you are stating...Your diving beyond your training. right now. Your going or planning on going past the rec NDL of 130 feet. You are venturing into dark waters as such. You will need to re-evaluate your dive training and go towards more technical training As Advanced Nitrox and stage deco. Which will require you to use Doubles, Stage bottles and more technical gear to reflect the deeper dives your going to embark on.

As stated above.

Forget Zeagle or any other recreational back inflation BC.

Your main choice and only one is a back plate and wing. This will be the BEST and most suited to the style of diving you are going to be doing. The back plate can be easily adjusted to what ever type of diving you will do. Single tank diving or twins. All you need is two baldders one for twins and the other for singles.

I would start with singles since cash is an issue. You can always get a nice used twin bladder later on.

As I mentioned, you are going to have to re-evaluated your gear purchases accordingly. And your training. Based on what you stated...your diving way beyond the NDL. recreational nitrox...does not consider 150 feet!..It is decompression diving. So get the right training for it. and the right gear.

I 2nd this

Real quick, I'm sorry to create some confusion, I haven't dove past 145 simply because I do not have a death wish with one tank and do not have the technical skills but I enjoy diving deep wrecks around 120 and would like to dive deeper. Honestly I don't know much about back plates and wings at all since my dive group doesn't have anyone who is into anything but recreational diving. I've looked up some information on backplates and wings but got confused. I also read and saw some backplates with wings that had some harness systems in with them. Can anyone help clear up my confusion here? It seems that for the diving I want to get into, I don't need a BC but a backplate with wings? Is this correct? Do you guys have any advice in this area since my knowledge is fairly limited. Also will the BP/W still work for say, dives down in the tropics which I plan this summer?

OK, so I misunderstood, you would like to dive deeper in the future. No problem, I do think a backplate and wing is the way to go, they are substantially more stable, especially with heavy doubles, and less cumbersome, I find them more comfortable too. I would say start by searching for threads on backplates and wings, and you will find TONS of resources to start with. Have a look online at some manufacturers like OMS, Diverite, Deep Sea Supply (who's owner is a member here, and seems very helpful), and also Zeagles does make a nice BP and has several wing options, so if you like Zeagle and have a dealer near you, gie them a shot too.

Wing is a simple reference to the bladder of a Back plate.

The wing comes from the look it give as it is seen from the side with a set of double tanks...looks like wings flapping...:wink:

If you want to change it...Then = Back plate and bouyancy compensator....but that sounds odd.

It sound like you are of two minds about what kind of diving you are doing. If you want to drink the Kool-aid and go cave, you should look into a BP/W. I would suggest a bit more open water diving before going cave.

OTOH For recreational diving, including doubles, the Ranger is hard to beat. It's my favorite BC of all time. If you later decide to go BP/W, the Ranger wing is compatible with a Zeagle Backplate.

As for a dry suit, almost any BC is compatible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom