Getting digital printed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lkyman

Registered
Reaction score
I have my pictures from Coz, and have color corrected them in photoshop. I am relatively happy with the final outcome, but want to upload to wal-mart.com to have prints made.

What would be the best resolution to save as? The top side pictures that my wife already did look fine and I believe they were 72, but the pictures I took underwater were taken at 2288x1712 so they import into my computer at 31.7 x 23.7 so I have the info to work with.

Any other tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

• Parrot1.jpg
    Parrot1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Parrot1:orig.jpg
    Parrot1:orig.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 29
so first off are you printing like 4x6 to 11-14 or are you printing bigger like posters. if wal-mart is using a fuji frontier to print you images 4x6-11x14 (note not all modle print 11-14) the native resolution of the frontier printer is 300ppi. so send your images to them at 300ppi. EX. 4x6 @ 300ppi or say 5x7 @ 300ppi..... every thing should be fine.

hoped this helped

Ignore the DPI. What counts is the number of pixels.

There is a difference between merely resizing something in Photoshop without resampling, and doing an image resizing that resamples. If you don't resample, then all you are doing is leaving the actual picture data untouched, and just changing a couple of bytes that say what the DPI and image size are. DPI times image size = pixel count. Resampling modifies the data and changes the pixel count. The best practice is to keep full resolution and avoid resampling except in unusual cases such as doing your own specific desired upsampling for a poster sized prints.

When you send it off to Walmart, they will automatically resize, and resample, to the selected print size. So the DPI doesn't matter. What you will find, however, is that the you may need to crop the picture to match up the aspect ratio (length to width ratio). For example your 2288x1712 photos are pretty close to having a 4x3 ratio of height to width. That is more squarish than the common 4x6 photo. So it is best to crop the photo to match the 4x6 format if that is what you will be printing. Otherwise, Walmart will just trim a bit off the long edges of the photo and print down the center. Often, the preferred cropping will be to remove pixels down just one side, but that's a choice that you need to make.

If you are going to print 8x10, then you have the opposite problem. The 8x10 is more square than your 3x4 picture, and you need to crop a bit on the narrow end of the photo.

bigfrog23:
so first off are you printing like 4x6 to 11-14 or are you printing bigger like posters. if wal-mart is using a fuji frontier to print you images 4x6-11x14 (note not all modle print 11-14) the native resolution of the frontier printer is 300ppi. so send your images to them at 300ppi. EX. 4x6 @ 300ppi or say 5x7 @ 300ppi..... every thing should be fine.

hoped this helped
I've found it best to just send the whole file and not resample to 300dpi. It seems that different printers have differing amounts of overzoom cranked in such that about 1/8" of the picture is beyond the edge of the borderless print, and even a 300dpi data file will get resampled. I haven't seen any ill effect on real photos, but could detect some moire artifacts on some test patterns I printed.

Back
Top Bottom