Getting Captain's License

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pod Diver Radio

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
At the recent BTS 2010 show, I spoke with Capt Bob Figular from Mariners Learning system. I will be posting that interview on the next podcast.

Bob has designed an on-line, multimedia system to study for you USCG Captain License. I interviewed Bob for my Podcast: Pod Diver Radio (www.poddiver.net) and I am already signed up and studying for my 6-pack license.

For more info check out Mariners Learning System

I think having my Captain's License will make me a better scuba instructor. I will be posting updates of the progress of the course on the Podcast. Personally, I like being able to study Coastal Navigation from from DROID fone.

what are the requirements for the crew experience portion of the license. I can find the number of days, and that 90 days have to be within the last 3 years.

But what does it mean to be part of the crew? What is the minimum boat size, etc.? I've looked on the USCG site, but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for ... perhaps I'm blind and overlooking the obvious ...

what are the requirements for the crew experience portion of the license. I can find the number of days, and that 90 days have to be within the last 3 years.

But what does it mean to be part of the crew? What is the minimum boat size, etc.? I've looked on the USCG site, but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for ... perhaps I'm blind and overlooking the obvious ...

The requirements are 360 total and 90 days have to be within the last 3 years. The forms and PDFs come with the course. Check this link for the exact details.
Mariners Learning System

OUPV Near Coastal: This license is valid on vessels up to 100 gross tons and out to 100 nautical miles.
The OUPV Near Coastal License also requires at least 360 days of documented experience in the operation of vessels, 90 of which must be gained seaward of the boundary line. Ninety of the 360 days must be in the last three years. Experience gained prior to the age of 15 will not be counted.
Note: Sea Service experience can be counted on your own vessel. A Sea Service Form and proof of ownership are required. Experience on other people's vessels can also be counted. In this instance, to verify experience claimed and vessel details, a completed Sea Service Form with the owner's signature must accompany the application.

Download video that explains it. Mariners Learning System

The requirements are 360 total and 90 days have to be within the last 3 years. The forms and PDFs come with the course. Check this link for the exact details.
Mariners Learning System

Pd Diver Radio -- read my question again. You provided me what I know, not what I'm asking. Thanks for taking the time to respond, but it doesn't answer my question.

I don't have the forms with me now.

But from what I gather: any boat that is registered with the state. Has a reg #, should qualify and/or an inspected vessel. (I know a kayak does not count, lol)

As to where you boat, inland, inshore, offshore. That counts too. If its your boat, you sign. If you worked on someone else's boat, they have to sign off for you, that you were "crew" for x number of days.

You should contact Bob Figular at MLS, he is the one with answers captainbob@marinersschool.com, he is the expert.

Back
Top Bottom