Getting a massage BEFORE a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I am aware that you should not get a massage after a dive because there is a possibility it could release N2 bubbles and DCS could develop. My question is how long AFTER a massage can you go diving? I am receiving massage therapy for an injury but was wondering how soon after it can I get back in the water? I will not be diving deeper than 30ft. My initial thought is I could go 12 hours after the massage as I would outgas BUT I wanted to get the opinion of more experienced divers. Thanks!!!

Hi, I am aware that you should not get a massage after a dive because there is a possibility it could release N2 bubbles and DCS could develop. My question is how long AFTER a massage can you go diving? I am receiving massage therapy for an injury but was wondering how soon after it can I get back in the water? I will not be diving deeper than 30ft. My initial thought is I could go 12 hours after the massage as I would outgas BUT I wanted to get the opinion of more experienced divers. Thanks!!!
Hi @Tigerpaw ,

I don't know that there's any clinical evidence for or against pre-dive massage. A 2023 PADI article from their website quotes a 2013 article in Sport Diver by ScubaBoard emeritus MD Doc Vikingo that says that there is a theoretical risk for bubble formation with deep-tissue massage after a diving series that results in high nitrogen loading, but that is strictly theoretical. A 2016 article by former DAN chief and UHMS Past President Dr. Nick Bird suggests that vigorous pre-dive massage could, again theoretically, create micronuclei that could lead to bubble formation after a dive. It could also result in muscle pain that could be confused with DCS.

In either case, a dive to 30 feet is pretty benign. The risk of you diving to that depth shortly after a massage is minimal.

Best regards,
DDM

In either case, a dive to 30 feet is pretty benign. The risk of you diving to that depth shortly after a massage is minimal.

Best regards,
DDM
THANK YOU so much for the information, I appreciate it. I want to dive as much as possible but I'm also learning that I need to be smart and safe first and foremost.

THANK YOU so much for the information, I appreciate it. I want to dive as much as possible but I'm also learning that I need to be smart and safe first and foremost.
Absolutely! Great to see that you're building a risk mitigation mindset from the start.

Best regards,
DDM

It isn't the massage that worries me.
What is the injury that requires the massage? Probably nothing, but worth the ask.

I’d think since you don’t have an excess inert gas buildup before the dive, it would have no effect on decompression.
ETA- you haven’t yet been exposed to increased pressure, and your body has no “extra nitrogen” in the tissues to offgas beforehand

I’d think since you don’t have an excess inert gas buildup before the dive, it would have no effect on decompression.
ETA- you haven’t yet been exposed to increased pressure, and your body has no “extra nitrogen” in the tissues to offgas beforehand
There's a theoretical concern for creating gas micronuclei with vigorous massage. I don't know of any peer-reviewed evidence that supports that though.

Best regards,
DDM

There's a theoretical concern for creating gas micronuclei with vigorous massage. I don't know of any peer-reviewed evidence that supports that though.

Best regards,
DDM
Huh, wow….well, you definitely learn something new every day. 😂
Edit- even if it did, wouldn’t they dissipate fast enough to not mess with decompression much?

Huh, wow….well, you definitely learn something new every day. 😂
Edit- even if it did, wouldn’t they dissipate fast enough to not mess with decompression much?
It depends (again theoretically) on the amount of time between the massage and the dive. If you're interested, Dr. Steve Thom at UPenn has done a lot of work on microparticles and diving. You can find his research on PubMed.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom