Get lower then get lower, get closer then get closer. OUCH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farsidefan1

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of my pet peeves is watching good divers completely lose situational awareness when they go to take a picture. I'm amazed at the damage I see wreaked by their fins or whatever. There is a fairly easy solution for some of these photo opps and I'm wondering why it isn't taught more.

You want to take a pic of something on the bottom or even in a depression. A solution if you don't want to lay on the bottom is to invert head down, let your breath out. Drop down till your head is near the bottom, use breath to stop your decent and take shot. Then breath in and rise vertically, never touching ANYTHING. Just keep the glottal stop open and no worries.

Why isn't this method used more often? It allows the "get closer get lower" without the damage. And it would prevent me from wanting to use my dive knife.

It's hard to do in a dry suit, although Uncle Pug is fond of it:

223597_10151228577679216_1738824667_n.jpg

I am constantly repositioning my strobes to adjust to the terrain (subterrain? :wink:) and the shot. I have no trouble repositioning for an inverted shot. I am not comfortable for very long in that position, however, and a successful shot usually takes more than one attempt. I usually opt to arch my back and take the shot in a more traditional diver's position, but with my fins well above my head. And I often opt not to attempt the shot at all. Because let's face it, I'm not David Doubilet; there are no photos I'm likely to take that are worth wear and tear on the reef.

just make sure your weight pockets are closed all the way. last time I was in Cayman I neglected to check this after DM inserted weights in pockets when I went upside down there goes my weight out of one pocket. didn't notice it even coming out till looked down and thought "wow someone lost a weight". then I noticed feeling a little floaty and realized it was mine so I kicked hard grabbed it and put it back in. needless to say I now always check to make sure my weight pockets are properly closed.

Hmmm, I had not considered the dry suit. I consider anything under 80 degrees to be a major trial of faith. :) Vlad, I appreciate your sentiments. I am no photo virtuoso myself. My shots bring to mind Picasso, on a bad day. I understand the discomfort level as well. I just don't spend as much time at composition as most others I'm sure. But for me it's all about protecting the reef. I'm not kidding about seeing very good divers - with great control just become oblivious when they pull up the camera. Sigh, makes me crazy. I guess I'm getting cranky as I age. And I've been doing a lot of aging lately ;(

Back
Top Bottom