German tanks in US….DOT cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Omb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey…I have a tiny doubles twin set I brought back to the US from Germany. They are great tanks but don’t have a DOT markings. My local shop put them into service but is not sure he can hydro them when they are due.

Any ideas on this? If anything, the European certs are more stringent than US.

MANY blue moons ago, I had a customer from Germany bring in tanks from Germany but without DOT markings, after research and checking, they could not be filled by any commercial operation in the US. If the customer had their own compressor, they can fill them. Hydro is an issue too according to the local hydro facilities (NY). In short, if not DOT stamped, no one in the US can fill them or approve of their use. The owner may fill them with their own compressor but any commercial operation won't/shouldn't. It also worth noting that all European made tanks sold in the US must have US DOT approval and markings even if they confirm to European standards. No one in their right mind would sell, fill, hydro or do anything with a tank that doesn't confirm to US DOT standards or doesn't have the DOT markings.

This was, as I said, long time ago and I am sure that the rules in the US have NOT changed.

I would say that local shop is really bending the rules doing an inspection and filling them for you.

As others stated, they will probably have to find there way back to Germany sometime to be useful over there.

Thanks. Pity as they are excellent tanks and only 3 yrs old. Germans know their stuff when it comes to compressed air cylinders. Frankly, I’d trust these over many of the clapped out, boat tanks I see out there.

I will save them for if I ever go back to Germany.

From the title of this thread I was thinking Panzers or Tigers. Whew!

From the title of this thread I was thinking Panzers or Tigers. Whew!

US DOT votes:

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 2.21.34 PM.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom