Geo flooded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shimbob

Registered
Reaction score
My Geo flooded.
I just dove 4 times out in 50 degrees water. By the end of the 3rd dive, I noticed some condensation inside the glass. The computer seemed stuck in a loop and cycled constantly showing "NORM", "GAUG", and "FREE".
This stopped after about 10 minutes and the condensation disappeared.
Coming up after the 4th dive, there was even more condensation, the display was cycling again and the display was also slowly fading as if the battery was draining away.

It is now lifeless, with drops of water inside the glass. Do you think I can open it up, hit it with a hairdryer in an AC-conditioned room and replace the battery? It's brand new, bought in February, and dove 16 times in Cozumel a month ago without issues.

Any advice is much appreciated.

You probably could take the battery cover off and blow dry it, but your best bet is to either take it back to the place you bought it or send it directly to Oceanic to get it fixed under warranty. I now have a Geo as a back-up to my VT3 after the VT3 flooded on me (turned-out there was no battery cover O-ring). Given that I don't have the equipment to be testing the computer after a flood and drying, and not knowing what long term damage may have been done, I thought it best to send it back and get a new one.

I had a problem with my datamask and thought about fixing it myself, knowing it would void the warranty. I decided not to and I'm glad I didn't open it up. I sent it back to Oceanic and they sent me a new one. I was afraid it would take forever to get my datamask back. It didn't. The turnaround was really quick.

In your case, you don't know what damage the flooding has caused that you will not be able to detect until later. The hairdryer idea may work for now, but you have a bigger problem that needs to be taken care of.

Hey shimbob,
Oceanic has the best warrantee service around. Do not open it. Just contact where you purchased it from and they should take care of everything at no cost to you. I think it has a 2 year warrantee before inspection. Register at Oceanic. I wonder if they send inspection reminders? Good Luck!

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/index_services.html

It looks like it just has a 2 year warrantee and 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

I thought about the best way to dry a watch with moisture under the crystal. If it is not under warrantee.

A vacuum oven would be best. For saltwater, this would probably be useless since there will still be salt crystals left behind. Open the back if possible. Use low temperature (no need to go to 212F) and a slight amount of vacuum. If the back is not open and too much vacuum, crystal may pop off. If too much heat, may damage mechanism. So about 90-110 degrees F and a little vacuum.

A great suggestion, but a vacuum oven is not something I have access to. Out of curiosity, how does popcorn pop in such oven?

Contacting the store I bought it from, the LDS kind of gave me the cold shoulder for not buying it from them (at $100+ more)

A great suggestion, but a vacuum oven is not something I have access to. Out of curiosity, how does popcorn pop in such oven?

Contacting the store I bought it from, the LDS kind of gave me the cold shoulder for not buying it from them (at $100+ more)

I got the same treatment from a LDS here. They were willing to do what they were required to do as an authorized dealer. They didn't want to go out of their way though. I'm not sure that I blame them. I saved $400 by buying it at Leisure Pro. In any case, I called Oceanic, got an RMA and sent it directly to them. I didn't have time to deal with a LDS. Oceanic just wanted a copy of my receipt.

Is it less than 2 years old?

I am surprised that someone from Oceanic has not responded.

Obviously, do not open it if it is not past warrantee.

Any luck trying to contact the original seller. I got mine from SCUBAToys.

I could do the vacuum oven for you. I will be in Sonoma this weekend. But no sense in doing it if still under warrantee. Also salt has probably already screwed it up. I will be in Sacramento Thursday and Friday for the CALFED conference at the convention center.

The Oceanic guys who normally respond are probably at DEMA. I'll echo the other suggestion of calling Oceanic directly, getting an RA number, and sending the computer directly to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom