Geo 2.0 - USB malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the other ass-sumption was that the cable worked before and so was up to specs until it wasn't.

And I'll see your USB 3.x and raise you an HDMI+USB KVM switch: I'm returning my 4th one and this one's a record setter: it came with USB (v.2) ports DOA. In all the others it was HDMI and it took them a couple of weeks to go titsup. One lasted the whooping! two months, even.

Lol. Cables DO fail. I spent a number of years as part of the USB-IF compliance effort that was driven by Intel. My experience as an engineer on USB technology is a bit more than yours as a consumer.

if you want more reliable docking stations, I recommend Plugable. The founder used to be the dev manager for the USB team at Microsoft.

There’s a lot of crap out there that hasn’t gone through much, if any of validation.

I have no idea what any of y'all are talking about but I'm glad I could facilitate this exchange of techno-jargon. :popcorn:
:rofl3:
Well I did work on usb compliance for a number of years and I’m serious in my offer to you or anyone for that matter that if they have ISB issues, I’lld be happy to look at it myself or ask my former co worker for the electrical a.

I have no idea what any of y'all are talking about but I'm glad I could facilitate this exchange of techno-jargon. :popcorn:

:D Your cable has a chip inside, in addition to the actual wires and plugs.

I reckon it's the chip that failed because wires and plugs are too simple to "just fail". Well, you'd know it if you'd dropped a tank on 'em or jammed 'em in a car door or some such, so if none that happened the plugs and wires should be as good as they were back when the cable still worked.

Kosta reckons I'm an optimist.

:D Your cable has a chip inside, in addition to the actual wires and plugs.

I reckon it's the chip that failed because wires and plugs are too simple to "just fail". Well, you'd know it if you'd dropped a tank on 'em or jammed 'em in a car door or some such, so if none that happened the plugs and wires should be as good as they were back when the cable still worked.

Kosta reckons I'm an optimist.
No. Bending cables, plugging and plugging will also cause them to fail.

dropping a cable is more likely to damage the assembly than the silicon.

but I didn’t expect you to know that.

Back
Top Bottom