Geo 2.0 - USB malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I have both been diving Ocean Geo 2.0s for over a year now. Today, I tried to hook them up to the computer via USB to download our logs to Subsurface as I usually do. When I plug in the USB cable, I get this error:

upload_2021-4-17_14-35-28.png

It happens when I plug in either of our Geos. It also happens on multiple Windows laptops, so it's not a problem specific to one of our dive computers or one of our PCs.

I also noticed that if I plug the USB cable into the PC on its own - WITHOUT the dive computer connected to it - I get the same error. Could it be a bad cable? Any advice?

could be either the cable or the connector on the geos. try cleaning all of the contacts.

Thanks. Is there a recommended way to do that? Wet q-tip? Rubbing alcohol? Obviously the computer can get wet but not sure about the cable contacts.

rubbing alcohol is fine. also check if there is a driver you need for windows 10. i know some of the older computers don't get along with windows 10 well in some cases.

rubbing alcohol is fine. also check if there is a driver you need for windows 10. i know some of the older computers don't get along with windows 10 well in some cases.

Cleaned the contacts on both dive computers as well as the cable, still having the same program. I'm thinking it's the cable since this issue is happening on multiple PCs with multiple dive computers, the cable is the only common factor. It should still be under the 2-year warranty so I'll reach out to Oceanic to see if they'll replace it. Insane that they charge $99 for a USB cable!

Did some googling & poking around the Oceanic website to see if there is a driver download page, didn't find anything.

And THIS is why I'm so happy with my computers that have Bluetooth connections.....

And THIS is why I'm so happy with my computers that have Bluetooth connections.....
Great you have all modern computers. My 11 year old Oceanic VT3 still downloads perfectly to OceanLog. Of course I love my Teric, downloading via Bluetooth.

Great you have all modern computers. My 11 year old Oceanic VT3 still downloads perfectly to OceanLog. Of course I love my Teric, downloading via Bluetooth.
LOL. No, I don't have ALL modern computers. But I'm happy with those that have BT.

I can confirm that the cable itself (Sherwood Amphos, though likely same as the Geo) will "mount" without a dive computer present. It's a FTDI USB Serial Device. This is from GNU/Linux:

[ 187.879432] usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
[ 188.096651] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=f460
[ 188.096655] usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 188.096657] usb 2-2: Product: 2002 Design,Inc. USB
[ 188.096659] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: 2002 Design,Inc
[ 188.096661] usb 2-2: SerialNumber: XXXXXXXX
[ 188.161762] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[ 188.161773] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[ 188.161780] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[ 188.275357] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
[ 188.275367] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
[ 188.275546] ftdi_sio 2-2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[ 188.275588] usb 2-2: Detected FT232BM
[ 188.278578] usb 2-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

This means there is some logic in the cable, which may require a driver on some OS'es.

Are all the computers you've tested on different versions of the OS?

Are all the computers you've tested on different versions of the OS?

All the PCs I've tested on are running Windows 10. I contacted Oceanic support and they did send me a link to download & install a driver, which I did, but I'm still having the same issue.

The weird thing is that we have used these same dive computers, cables, and PCs together many times in the past. However, we didn't dive between Feb 2020 and April 2021, so something changed in the intervening year and it no longer works. My suspicion is that it's the cable, given that it's the only common denominator.

Back
Top Bottom