Genesis reaction pro blues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sqaksums

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I bought a computer. I didn't do my homework, and I've found by downloading the manual, I've bought a computer that doesn't take into account the air supply, and is a decompression model. Am I sol and stuck still to diving tables and logarithmic dive profiles, or has this model been actually of value to anyone?

So I bought a computer. I didn't do my homework, and I've found by downloading the manual, I've bought a computer that doesn't take into account the air supply, and is a decompression model. Am I sol and stuck still to diving tables and logarithmic dive profiles, or has this model been actually of value to anyone?

As you discovered the computer is not air integrated and has no idea what's left in your tank or how long it will last. If you use it, you'll need a pressure gauge.

Additionally, the manual doesn't seem to indicate exactly which decompression model it uses, and makes reference to navy tables and includes a lot of weasel words about not making any guarantees, so I have no idea what it's actually doing. The manual says it allows 11 minutes @ 130', while SSI tables allow 5 minutes. vPlanner calls for 6 minutes of deco stops after 11 minutes @ 130'.

You can take that for what you think it's worth.

If it's still in the box and hasn't been wet yet, you might be able to take it back and exchange it for something else. If not, there's always eBay. You could also keep it and use it, but given what the manual says, you would probably be safer with recreational no-deco tables, a watch and a depth gauge.

and is a decompression model.

This isn't a problem. Any good computer will attempt to tell you where to stop if you exceed the no-deco limit. The problem is that unless it's air-integrated and relatively smart, it may tell you that you need a 15 minute stop when you have 5 minutes of air left.

The real problem is that it's no-decompression limits are quite a bit beyond what I'd feel comfortable with and the manual includes extra weasel words if you exceed the no-deco limit.

flots.

Last edited:
[...] I've bought a computer that doesn't take into account the air supply [...]

This doesn't need to be a problem. I've been diving a non-air integrated computer for years now without a problem. You do need an external pressure gauge though.

[...] and is a decompression model.
I think I've lost you there. Any dive computer operates on a decompression model it performs calculations on. As the manual indicates, the computer is intended for recreational diving, and advises you to stay within your no decompression limits (NDL). However, if you are to exceed those (because you've made a mistake during your diving), it will advise you on deco stops to be made. The algorithm used is a "modified Haldanean algorithm" with 12 tissue compartments (the manual also gives a specification about the halftimes of the tissues on page 80).

To be fair (and this is a point already made by flots am), the NDLs that are used by the computer are quite aggressive: anything beyond 40m is outside the scope of recreational diving, let alone 5 minutes at 190ft (57m).

Am I sol and stuck still to diving tables and logarithmic dive profiles, or has this model been actually of value to anyone?
Why would you be stuck on this? This computer continuously calculates your NDL while diving (as all computers do), so I don't see why you'd to dive only logarithmic profiles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom