Genesis DPV - New motor / price increase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sevenrider860

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was looking to purchase a Genesis 2.1 and was told that the DPV was being updated with a new motor and that there would be a price increase (amount unknown at present time) when the model ships in the April timeframe.

I was told that if ordered now at the $7,600 list price, it would not be “grandfathered” in and I would need to pay the additional price increase when the DPV with the new/updated motor ships.

Does anybody have additional information about this?

Any details on the updated motor? Is there a performance/efficiency increase? Should I have concerns about a “new” motor design?

I am just trying to collect any information that others might be able to share about the updated motor design.

Brian

I was looking to purchase a Genesis 2.1 and was told that the DPV was being updated with a new motor and that there would be a price increase (amount unknown at present time) when the model ships in the April timeframe.

I was told that if ordered now at the $7,600 list price, it would not be “grandfathered” in and I would need to pay the additional price increase when the DPV with the new/updated motor ships.

Does anybody have additional information about this?

Any details on the updated motor? Is there a performance/efficiency increase? Should I have concerns about a “new” motor design?

I am just trying to collect any information that others might be able to share about the updated motor design.

Brian
I am guessing it's because @Jon Nellis is sold out of his original motor. Why not ask him directly for the scoop. Nobody else has any idea of why he's switching motors.

I am guessing it's because @Jon Nellis is sold out of his original motor. Why not ask him directly for the scoop. Nobody else has any idea of why he's switching motors.

As rjack321 has said just contact Jon directly. I have dealt with him in the past with my Genesis and can say Jon is top notch and will give you Shearwater quality customer service and he is usually very fast at getting back to you.

Hi Brian,

As rjack321 guessed, we have run out of the old motors, and after 10 years, decided it was time for something even more efficient, quieter and made in the USA, with a new motor controller to drive it. Unfortunately, we didn't plan on the supply issues when we started the project last year and had to change course midstream because of the chip shortage issues, which are causing delays.

There will be a price increase and we still do not know what it will be. Since one year ago, cell prices are up 58%, aluminum prices are up 85%, plastics prices are up 40% and R&D isn't cheap. We were trying to keep the 3.1 under $8K, but not sure that will be possible. We do have a wait list going and it is pretty full already. If you'd like to get on the wait list, send an email HERE and we'll add you to it. We're not taking deposits until we know the price and at this point any additions to the wait list are at least 4-5 months out for delivery.

Cheers,
Jon

@Jon Nellis :

Are we looking a completely redesigned back-end (motor, housing, propeller & shroud) or simply the motor? Without giving too much away prior to product launch, can you give some tid bits of the anticipated differences between the current & future designs?

O.

Hi Brian,

As rjack321 guessed, we have run out of the old motors, and after 10 years, decided it was time for something even more efficient, quieter and made in the USA, with a new motor controller to drive it. Unfortunately, we didn't plan on the supply issues when we started the project last year and had to change course midstream because of the chip shortage issues, which are causing delays.

There will be a price increase and we still do not know what it will be. Since one year ago, cell prices are up 58%, aluminum prices are up 85%, plastics prices are up 40% and R&D isn't cheap. We were trying to keep the 3.1 under $8K, but not sure that will be possible. We do have a wait list going and it is pretty full already. If you'd like to get on the wait list, send an email HERE and we'll add you to it. We're not taking deposits until we know the price and at this point any additions to the wait list are at least 4-5 months out for delivery.

Cheers,
Jon
Thank you for the information! VERY much appreciated. I will get on that waitlist now!!

Anyone has any updates aobut the specs of the Genesis 3.1? I see that Fathom Dive systems list it in their website, but the specs are the same as the 2.1 from Logic Dive Gear website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom