General Questions for first timer to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Decided to break out of the Cozumel rut, heading to Bonaire this March. I have some questions, and am also open to any other info.
Airport transfers; planning on staying at the Dive Hut. Is it difficult to get to and from the airport from that location? What is the popular method?
Electricity...same voltage, ect? Do I need an adapter of some type?
Currency....US dollar fine, or do we need to convert to local currency?
Mosquitos a problem in March?
How safe will my camera and laptop be if left in my room?
I have heard about a book regarding diving in Bonaire that is a must read; any input?

Thanks in advance!

1) You will most certainly want a rental truck! Available at the airport..many options and opinions.
2) See # 1
3) It is the same
4) Us Dollar
5) Not usually..but bring some bug juice, it really depends where you are on the island.
6) Most Rooms have a safe.
7) Bonaire Shorediving Made Easy..its a great book and available online or at Chat and Browse near the Traffic Circle by BD. Its a good book for first timers. There is also a website that might help I will post it at the bottom.

Bring heavy soled booties for shore entries. Roll down the windows and leave nothing in the truck that you will not miss. Try some of the local "Criolo" cuisine..the Goat Stew is tasty!Try to make it to the Nat'l Park up north on the offgas day-well worth it IMHO!

You will love Bon..I have been five times..and will return! I went to Coz before Bon..I am finally returning to Coz in Feb after a Bon rut..
Lots of good info in the ABC forum!

Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands

Electricity...same voltage, ect? Do I need an adapter of some type?
We didn't. Info Bonaire - Technology - Yes, even Bonaire has technology

Currency....US dollar fine, or do we need to convert to local currency?
You already did. As of several years ago the U.S. Dollar is the official Bonaire currency.

Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information may help answer other questions you may have.

To order BSDME - Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy & Snorekling, Order the Book

Last I heard, U.S. power was 110 volt, 60 Hz, and Bonaire 120 volt,, 50 Hz. Some electronics are made to handle a range covering that. It's said some, like some fans, tend to 'run hot.' I've not seen any cheap adaptors; most people use a surge suppressor and hope for the best, which usually works fine from what I've seen.

Richard.

---------- Post added January 10th, 2013 at 02:00 PM ----------

One more thing; rental trucks are stick shift, unless you pay around $150 extra for an automatic, and you'd want to book an automatic in advance.

Gdog,

We stayed at the Dive Hut last year - I plugged my Chromebook and phone right into the wall - no problem. I would probably not leave them plugged in unattended though.

You want their stay/dive/drive package. It was with Island Rentals and Wannadive.

Dive the park - bring at least three tanks per diver, pack a lunch and some drinks, and get there at 8am when the park opens. The road through the park is unpaved, and one way. Takes a while but nice diving, and the ride through the park is a good way to kill your SI.

Bring your favorite powdered drink mixes - iced tea, gatorade, etc - and fill some water bottles and freeze/chill in your hotel room over night. Saves lots of money, and reduces waste.

If you are the type to plan your dive sites ahead of time, understand that most sites are VERY close to each other. Adjacent sites run one-right-into-the-next, so feel free to plan your SI driving from one site to one a little bit away. Kills some time, and make for more diverse diving. Also note that at one point heading north, the main shore road becomes one-way. So don't plan on diving Karpata and then 1,000 Steps, unless you feel like a nice long drive through Rincon, down South, and back up North again.

I found Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy to be worthless, to be quite honest. All the info in it is available in various on-line sites. Never understood why people rave over it.

Most restaurants are outdoor, and provide enough shelter from the wind that mosquitoes go after your legs if you eat out for supper. So a pump sprayer form of repellent is advised. Can be an issue on night dives; usually not that bad, but they were once horrendous on a night dive at Windsock one trip.

Richard.

Highly agree with the thick hard-soled dive boots! Well worth the investment. We've plugged in lap tops and iPads no problem. Take cash for your Marine Park fee. Mosquitoes, well they were a huge nuisance our September trip, less so in March but I do recommend taking repellant, as Richard said, legs at restaurants especially. Have not used the book, all online. If flying Insel, pack as if your luggage will arrive a day late. Use the safe.

Back
Top Bottom