General Housing Storage Question: Remove O Ring When Not Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. I just returned from Cozumel and had a great trip. I did lose one day with the camera as the O ring on my Olympus PT-058 Housing for my TG-5 was stretched and didn't want to seal correctly. I wasn't able to get another O ring in Coz, but through patience and delicate use of toothpicks I was able to get the O ring fully seated and housing closed for the last day of diving. This is the second O ring I have used in approx. 8 trips. I am curious if I should be taking the O ring out when I am not using the camera? I just ordered two more O rings so that I am ready for my next trip in February, but I would like to be able to get more than 4 trips out of an O ring. Would there be less stretching of the O ring this way? Any suggestions are appreciated.

What are you using for lube on the o-ring? I'm still using the original o-ring that came with my housing and after two years it's still going strong. My retailer said to only use the Olympus grease on the o-ring as other grease will make it expand. I was always skeptical about this but always aired on the side of caution, I also use S&S branded grease on my S&S strobes. My gut instinct says that it is just all silicone grease but who knows?

I found they also work well, using the supplied grease. They do seem to get a bit sticky for want of a better description and hard the get any particles off - I solve this by washing them in soapy water and drying - just by flicking them and running through my fingers for a little while - you don't want to use anything with fibres to dry them.

Leaving the o-ring in place should not cause stretching but in theory the o-ring can develop a set from being under constant compression.

Silicone grease causes silicone o-rings to swell - it tends to need a specific grease though there are some universal lubricants - you know the supplied grease will work.

I have always kept at least two main body o- rings; one for use and an older one for storage -- to protect the sealing surface. Removing them, runs the risk of damage to the housing . . .

The less you touch that oring the better. More cameras have been flooded due to oring fondling stretching them out than any other cause. A camera housing back seal is a compression seal and thus needs NO Lube. Wipe it off with a microfiber cloth if dirty and otherwise leave it in place even when stored.

Removing it all the time just stretches it, and if stretched it must be replaced.

4 dives doesn’t sound right. Unless an o ring is damaged or it takes a set as mentioned and gets compressed there shouldn’t be a need to change one. When you pull it out how are you storing it? The only other issue I can think of is that it is a silicone o ring and you are using silicone grease and it is swelling. I use the grease supplied on each products o ring to be sure to avoid that. I have had the same o ring in one of my housings for 10 years.

I recommend only using Cristo Lube for cameras, and only for sliding / bayonet orings. Again it is counterproductive to grease the back oring as this is a static fitting and the Lube will only serve to attract grit. Cristo Lube (or equiv) is what most housings supply. Nauticam, inon, S&S, etc.

Do not remove the o'ring from the seat. The whole idea of taking it out to lubricate and put back in place is unwise as those are the moments where particles can stick or scratches can occur. If you have concerns when travelling that oring may stick when pressurised just leave the housing open.
The purpose of the lubricant is to help the oring go into the seat when you install it the first time without being accidentally damaged. The lubricant is not relevant to the seal
If you feel that is drying out and getting sticky you may want to evaluate to remove and lubricate, lubricate while in the seat or replace

Back
Top Bottom