Gear rental (LDS) question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Schnitzer

Registered
Reaction score
2 part question.

Will my LDS rent me gear (BCD, octo, tank) for me to go to a friend's pool and practice breathing so I don't hoover too much since my fiancee (and dive buddy) is half my size and always has more air in the tank when I need to surface? Should I tell them it's for pool use, I figured I should since it's chlorine & not fresh or salt walter

And #2, any impact on my friend's pool if I'm in there with gear on? I don't think so but I don't know jack about pools and PH levels and what have you

thanks!

well, take care not to smash the tank off the bottom and break the tiles..that would not be good..for that matter be careful jumping in too

Mr. Schnitzer:
2 part question.

Will my LDS rent me gear (BCD, octo, tank) for me to go to a friend's pool and practice breathing so I don't hoover too much since my fiancee (and dive buddy) is half my size and always has more air in the tank when I need to surface? Should I tell them it's for pool use, I figured I should since it's chlorine & not fresh or salt walter

And #2, any impact on my friend's pool if I'm in there with gear on? I don't think so but I don't know jack about pools and PH levels and what have you

thanks!

Tell them that you'll be using it in a pool... maybe they'll give you student equipment that gets used in the pool all the time and cut you a break on the rental price. Tanks are tanks, though, so you'll just pay the normal rental/fill price.

For your second question, other than causing physical damage to the pool, you certainly can't any more problems than a pack of 8 year olds swimming in a pool who think it's a toilet.

See if you can rent an air integrated computer - it'll give you great biofeedback to establish a good breathing pattern.

Mr. Schnitzer:
2 part question.

thanks!

Maybe stating the obvious, but, you should be certified before using the equipment on your own. If you do not have a C-Card the LDS most likely will not rent to you. Also, remember - air consumption will increase with depth - go to a site like http://www.spearfishing.org/bruces_tips/java/sameair.html to see how long your tank will last when you go deeper than a pool. Also, swim around, like you would do on a 'real' dive. Practice is good - have fun. Good luck in HI!

I am certified and I know about air consumption at depth... I just want to practice breathing more slowly and deeply

thanks for the tips everyone!

Back
Top Bottom