Gear Marking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coyote

Reaction score
I just got my gear and I was wondering what the best way to mark it is. Is engraving my initials on the first stage of my reg considered a no-no? If so how should I mark it?

One of my instructors told me a story about
one of his open water classes once. He always
'encourages' equipment purchases ( he owns the
store ) and mentions that divers should mark
their equipment with their inititials, personal
mark or whatever to identify it.

One guy apparently put a hand with the first
two fingers extended on all his gear in almost
artist like fashion. My old instructor came up
to him and said wow you really listened about the
gear marking, by the way are you a boy scout
troup leader or something? ( boy scout salute
is 3 fingers though... )

The guy smiled and said, " No, I'm a proctologist..."

Kell

I mark all mine with a WA only with the left side of the A and the right of the W as one line so they are somewhat combined... WA is my first initials William Abbott and I consider it my mark... On certain items hard to mark with the WA I also may mark them some other way. As on my gloves I traced over one of the letters with marker and then marked my WA on the inside tag or something. I used permanent marker on EVERything... I also choose to mark it somewhat un-noticable so that it's not obvious and its less likely someone will have not only the same marking but in the same location.

Coyote
Many regs are chrome plated brass, or alloys. Engraving them would obviously disturb the chrome coating and lead to accelerated corrosion, cuts to you and your gear, and may void warrenty......... We'll use regs as an example. All regs have a serial no. for warrenty purposes. I always catalouge these numbers for safe keeping and mark the gear with paint pens and plastic tags. If someone is bent on stealing it's history weather it's engraved or not. Marking it so it's highly visible is a quick way of distinguishing your stuff from others. I tape the outside of my cam buckles on my fins with duct tape. It eliminates the potential of catching, or comming apart. It looks like hell and nobody wants a crappy looking fin. I could find them in a blizzard. My ss back plate, singles adapter, and reels are stamped with my name. My lights and accessories all have rings and a big dog clip to mount them to my harness as well as having my initials on EVERYTHING, weight and lift bags, weights, and even the gear bags themselves. Don't be shy...........

Back
Top Bottom