Gear keeper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bestshooter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Guys ,
Has anyone had issues with gear keepers ? Mine will not retract anymore . Any ideas how to fix it ? What does everyone use to connect computer, spg to bc and keep it nice and neat ? Any better gear keepers on the market?

Thanks

Hey Guys ,
Has anyone had issues with gear keepers ? Mine will not retract anymore . Any ideas how to fix it ? What does everyone use to connect computer, spg to bc and keep it nice and neat ? Any better gear keepers on the market?

Thanks
Take it apart, clean it, put WD-40 on it, put it back together, try it, then buy a new one. How long have you been using that one?

12 inches of cave line or so. Tie a bolt snap snug onto the gauge. Cut excess line off and singe the ends. Problem solved.

Take it apart, clean it, put WD-40 on it, put it back together, try it, then buy a new one. How long have you been using that one?
Can’t take it apart .. it’s one piece unless you know another way . I sprayed wd40 in where the line spools in and still stuck , will not retract . I’ve had this one about 10-15 dives , the one I had before about the same time and it did the same thing .

Can’t take it apart .. it’s one piece unless you know another way . I sprayed wd40 in where the line spools in and still stuck , will not retract . I’ve had this one about 10-15 dives , the one I had before about the same time and it did the same thing .
If you rinse it well, it ought to go a lot longer than that. Of course, you have to consider everything you take into the ocean as being expendable, but 10-15 dives is a little weak. My wife uses the Innovate Scuba brand, not Hammerhead Gear Keeper. They are held together with screws.

As post #3 above points out, just tie a bold snap on the console and clip it off. Pretty much bulletproof, and definitely no danglies. If you really need to look at your gauges a lot, clip them to an opposite shoulder d-ring so you can just look down.

You are correct--you can't get the Gear Keeper apart without breaking it. I tried that several times. I finally resorted to rinsing them well after each dive, then extend and lock the string in the extended position while drying. When dry, I follow up with a good squirt of silicon spray every five or six dives. Mine have lasted years following this cleaning process. Of course I have forgotten, or gotten lazy on occasion and paid the price.

Get yourself an air integrated wrist computer with integrated digital compass and lose the gauge entirely.

Get yourself an air integrated wrist computer with integrated digital compass and lose the gauge entirely.
I’m working on this .. funds are tight and I’m saving up for my Perdix.

Toss it, attach a bolt snap with a piece of cave line as shown in the video above.

Back
Top Bottom