Gear Insurance Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tphelps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Aloha,

I'm looking to get gear/equipment insurance. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

-Tyler

I was going to simply post "DAN" but the SB software won't accept a post of less than 5 characters and rejected my reply. Sorry.

EDIT: Damn, I should have thought to type "Divers Alert Network" instead of just typing "DAN" since that is more than 5 characters.

SECOND EDIT: Crap, if I had just thought to include a link to DAN's equipment insurance page (https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/equipment/) that would have been WAY more than five characters.

THIRD EDIT: Come to think of it, I could also have posted the story about how my buddy wrecked his camera during a rough surf exit onto ironshore in Bonaire. Tossed him - and the camera - around pretty good. Housing was broken and camera flooded. DAN paid out no problem and my buddy quickly had a new - and better - camera. Yup... that story would have not only been more than five characters long, but would have also been a more detailed recommendation highlighting the benefits of DAN equipment insurance. I wish I had thought to include it. If I had, my post wouldn't have been rejected.

Hopefully someone else will come along and post the information for DAN's equipment insurance... instead of just typing "DAN" and having their post rejected because it was fewer than 5 characters in length.

Sorry I couldn't help.

I'd guess you're going to want accident insurance anyway so DAN equipment insurance comes along for the ride. Make sure you understand the terms and limitations of DAN equipment insurance, though. Generally it covers equipment worn that is cut loose in order to get to the surface or administer first aid. Theft is not covered.

DIVING EQUIPMENT means diving equipment that is worn on
the diver’s person that is lost or damaged due to a Covered Diving
Accident that requires urgent transportation or hospitalization. Diving
Equipment does not include watches, their glasses or covers, torn
straps or buckles, or photographic equipment of any kind.

RJP,

Please ask your friend which DAN policy he purchased that covered his camera gear. Was it the DAN

Travel and Medical Emergency Protection insurance?
Annual Travel Insurance?
Equipment Insurance?
Other?

Also, what limits did he have?

Thanks.
travel insurance That is pretty awesome.

Your question is about equipment insurance. You may want to think about travel insurance as well. I usually buy it when I purchase airline tickets from any airline except Southwest (they allow changes). It is not overly expensive compared to cost of a family trip. There are several companies that cover the cost of most travel expenses, including lost or damaged bags, hotel, rental car, airline tickets and some medical. I have used Alliananz and was able to recover the cost of a family vacation when my daughter broke her ankle just before the departure date. With any plan read the fine print about pre existing conditions and everything else not covered.

RJP,

Please ask your friend which DAN policy he purchased that covered his camera gear. Was it the DAN

Travel and Medical Emergency Protection insurance?
Annual Travel Insurance?
Equipment Insurance?
Other?

Also, what limits did he have?

Thanks.
travel insurance That is pretty awesome.

He had the Equipment Insurance. He doesn't recall limits, etc. It was a couple of years ago.

Home owners insurance will cover your gear and so will renters insurance if you do not own a home. I had all of my gear stolen last year and Safeco wrote me a check a week later. It will even cover it when our gear is in the car when you go inside to eat after a dive!

Generally it covers equipment worn that is cut loose in order to get to the surface or administer first aid. Theft is not covered.

This is a great tip. I'm more concerned about theft right now. DAN was the first place I looked but on the "quick quote" option it was really expensive for as much gear I want to insure.

---------- Post added October 27th, 2014 at 04:45 PM ----------

You may want to think about travel insurance as well.
Travel insurance is a great idea. I don't have any right now as I am not doing a lot of dive trips currently. Thanks though!

---------- Post added October 27th, 2014 at 04:45 PM ----------

Home owners insurance will cover your gear and so will renters insurance if you do not own a home. I had all of my gear stolen last year and Safeco wrote me a check a week later. It will even cover it when our gear is in the car when you go inside to eat after a dive!

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, will look into Safeco!

Your Home owners insurance [-]will[/-]might cover your gear and it might not and so [-]will[/-]might renters insurance, or it might not if you do not own a home. It really depends. I had all of my gear stolen last year and my insurance company Safeco wrote me a check a week later. [-]It [/-]Our insurance will even cover it when our gear is in the car when you go inside to eat after a dive!

As with anything relative to insurance policies... your policy will only cover what YOUR POLICY says it will cover. You really need to read your own policy and check with your insurance company. Far be it from me to lay out something definitive like "Homeowners insurance will cover it" as an absolute statement of fact. It would be as ridiculous for me to do so... as it would be for you to blindly accept such information.

Fixed it for you.

Back
Top Bottom