Gear Insurance Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not sure if this is the right place to post.

I am in the works of trying to find a way to insure my dive gear for my upcoming trip and have read everything I could find about different insurance companies and options and I think I have settled on the DAN version H2Oinsurance.

However I have not read much about peoples experience with that company and cant find anything on their rates. I did look into DEPP but I found way to many posts about people not getting good service and there doesn't seem to be anyone companies who specialize in dive gear. I checked homeowners and it was kinda a joke, they wanted pictures and values of everything and would cover me up to almost $10000 but with a $1000 deductible and there weren't any specific terms for camera gear or flooding.

I would like to hear some responses from people who use/used H2Oinsurance if possible or maybe there are other options I have not found.

I will be traveling with lots of gear for this first trip and there will be regs and computers for 3 divers diving doubles with a deco bottle in my bags due to some interesting trip coincidences (long story). Not to mention bp/w, exposure protection, and other gear. This is thousands of dollars in equipment for the TSA to "misplace" and would likely ruin a trip for 6 people so this is a big concern for me.

any advice is much appreciated, Thanks

Here's a post of mine from last year with other possible options. Some may no longer provide service. On the list, Vicenzia and Buckley has been discontinued, they used to be the PADI insurance carrier.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/2155193-post3.html

I settled on H2OInsurance. I pay $185 to insure $6500 of gear/video gear. To get an online quote fill out their quote form and go to step #2 to see your premium. It's here:

https://www.h2oinsurance.com/insurance/insurance_step1.asp

I've never filed a claim with H2O but last year they were able to provide me with proof of insurance overnight just before an international trip - my fault as I forgot to renew. So my experience with their service has been good.

I'd be more concerned about the airlines "misplacing" my gear than the TSA. Either way it's going to be an impact since you won't be able to get paid for replacements till you're back.

If it's a big concern, I'd figure out a way to distribute all the expensive stuff among your carry-on's, with six people you could likely move over 200# of gear that way - depends where you're going. I've always felt that I can buy clothes pretty much anywhere if a bag gets lost, but I'd really miss my regs, computer and video gear.

I used them as my first insurance but dropped them. Their method of initially getting the gear identified and then the process of adding new gear was just too cumberson.

I went with DEPP. Sandy is wayyyyyyyyyyyy easy to work with.

wow I went to the Dan h2Oinsurance site and put in everything for a quote, I totaled $18,256.00 in equipment and the premium would be $548 per year. I know divers that can outfit themselves completely for less than $548 so I dont know what I want to do. Maybe I should only insure my regs and computers but if just 1 bag got stolen or lost your talking $5k +/- if you include lights, regs, computer, bc, O2 analyzer, and all the little crap. I even put in an amount for all the little clips and snaps I have on stuff. I dunno, what do you think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom