Gear for newly certified diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all, new to diving and I just got certified, including Nitrox. I plan to dive in the Gulf out from Pinellas county FL. Depths between 25 and 90 feet to go spearfishing. About me, I am 6'2", 205 lbs. I currently have steel 80's, two piece wetsuit, Aqualung Core regulator with Auqualung i300 computer, and Avati Quatro fins. I am up in the air about BC. I am between Zeagle Stiletto and a BPW. I see two good deals on wings, one is a Hog 32# and the other is a Manta 30#. I would like to keep things simple. Since I have laid out a lot of money already, I am trying to keep it cheap to start. What are your thoughts, especially since I am new. I hate renting due to inconvience, and most places don't rent what I am looking at.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

The best way to save money on scuba gear is to buy your second set of gear first. Virtually everyone who dives a BP/W started with a jacket style, which is now sitting useless in a closet somewhere.

Not sure you can use a BP/Wing as you're not diving a Perdix computer.

Actually DGX or Vintage Double Hose wings are both good choices.

Thanks for the replies, DGX looks like a good price and impressive that so many recommend them.

Thanks

If you’re already thinking about BP/W’s, my recommendation would be to just skip the regular BC route. I have a HOG 32# wing. I like it and have no plans to “upgrade” from it anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom