GBR in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The family is thinking of taking a trip to visit relatives in Sydney this coming May (about 70% sure but something may come up). So, I just couldn't visit Australia without diving the GBR. I'll probably have 5 days to do diving (maybe a week at most if I can get away from the relatives). What would be the best way to dive the GBR? What city/town will I need to be based on? Are there boats that take you to the reef during the day and then bring you back when the diving is done or do I need to do a live aboard (short one)? How much does the diving cost approximately? Thanks for all the info and I really do hope this trip pushes through.

Hi Midwestdvr,
I would go to Cairns to do day trips. I think it is like a 2 hour flight from Sydney. The diving I did
there was with a company called Tusa and they were great. Expect boat rides to be close to
2 hours to get to the GBR or do a short liveaboard with Tusa or Mike Ball Expeditions. Only bad thing about May for me was that we were blown out a couple days. Lots of other things to do
though. It's tropical in the NE all year long, but it will be fall and chances of getting blown out are
a little greater. Contact Tusa for more info. I couldn't recommend them more.
Terri

Gidday Midwest,

You are not going to believe this, it has been 10 knots and sunny skies here in Cairns for the last two weeks and every single dive boat ( 60 of them ) have been travelling half full. It is just fantastic weather.

Now to answer your questions.... weather patterns for Cairns last 2 years:

Feb 400mm rain
March 800 mm rain
April 1600mm rain
May very windy and topsy turvey, doesnt matter for divers however right? we stay under the water.

Availability on all boats whether day tours ( 5 hrs up to 3 dives), liveaboards 2/1 night..3/2 night, or extended is always fine with standby's available for extended Cod Hole tours.

Having advised for many years as the oldest independant advisory service here in Cairns, my advice is to wait until you get to Sydney or even Cairns to try and get the very best day or days for your GBR experience.

Budget: day tour snorkel approx $100 to $150 for day. Add $100 for 3 dives, guided full gear.

Liveaboard: $300 2 day / 1 night 5 day 1 night dive full gear

Extended Liveaboard starting $1000 approx 10 dives full gear.

New boats upgrades over the last 3 months are Tusa, Seastar, Reef Experience in sea trials now.

Trusty one day reliables with quality reef.... Silversonic, swift, calypso.

Liveaboards to search are Pro Dive ( 3 day) , Deep Sea , Reef Encounter.

Extended in my order of brilliance Mike Ball, Spirit of freedom, Nimrod then Taka. Undersea is to long for your visit.

Now your overloaded however May is a long way away.

Cheers Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom