• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Gay colours?

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by Subcooled, Sep 30, 2019.

1. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Ya, wouldn't want anyone to think I dive alot. :wink::rofl3:

DBPacific likes this.
  2. aldertyler

aldertyler Nassau Grouper

Oh wow. Group discount on Novas?

3. drrich2

drrich2 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Straight guy here with considerable red on my recently purchased Hollis BP/W setup (the wing). When I bought split fins years ago and had a choice, had a dark red & black pair of Tusa splits (now black Deep 6 Eddy's; sorry, I am too conservative male for hot orange!). This thread came up under 'New Posts' and caught my eye and I'm curious about a few things.

1.) What colors are we talking about? Yes, it makes a difference. In the U.S., darker blues and reds aren't unusual for men, and yellow octopus hoses, even fins for viz., wouldn't be a shocker. White seems fairly gender-neutral in current U.S. fashion I'd think? But a guy with hot pink gear might be suspected by observers of 'signaling' since in the U.S. pink has for some time been associated with femininity (hasn't always; go back far enough, baby boys were in pink & girls in blue, but that changed). Over the years more guys wear some pink, but softer toned. A guy wearing much 'iridescent fascia' is still pretty unusual.

2.) What are current Finnish cultural norms in terms of color/pattern choice? What things mean has a cultural and chronological context. Some generations back in the U.S., ear rings in a guy were very unusual, but not so much now.

3.) Was the mockery good-natured teasing amongst friends, mean-spirited antagonism or something else? One of my best friends and I used to trade insults that mystified another friend of ours.

4.) Putting aside all political correctness, concerns about how anyone thinks the world 'should' be or what should be done to pursue such, let's say a guy with whatever he was wearing got on a boat where the rest of the divers were in black, so he stood out and was noticed. By your best estimate of the current cultural and fashion sensibilities in Finland, would a substantial portion of the other divers perceive he was significantly more likely to be gay than if he wore black?

I know somebody's gonna want to fire back 'And if so? So what?' I think a lot of straight guys would prefer not to be mistaken for gay. I'm not talking hatred, persecution, insulting or disrespecting anyone. And a lot of straight guys, if they thought something in the context of their culture 'looked gay,' would shy away from it. We know from the cosmetic and fashion industry many people care a lot about the image they project.

I need the added info. before I can make an informed decision what to think about the situation. Perhaps it'd help some others, too.

Sam Miller III and KWS like this.
  4. FF / EMT

FF / EMT Angel Fish

My safe second is black. It’s also the one I’m giving my buddy if he needs it, he’s not getting my primary...
    color doesn’t matter.

Saboteur likes this.
  5. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    No such thing as good natured teasing

There are plenty of things you say and things you do
    and plenty of things you say and do that you just don't

Hoyden and dumpsterpurrs like this.
  6. drrich2

drrich2 Solo Diver

I think the experience of legions of married couples, siblings, good friends, sports team buddies and co-workers would dispute that. Not all teasing is malicious, intended to hurt people.

Richard.

7. rob.mwpropane

rob.mwpropane Manta Ray

Can I ask why you didn't say anything? Not trying to be an ass, I believe we've all been in that situation. I'd like to think more often than not I take up for the underdog and let them know it's ok to be different.

I'm not perfect, there times that I wish that I should of, could of, would of....but if it bothers me in the moment and I realize it I try to do something about it.....so I don't have to think about the would of, could of's later.

My buddies and I hit waaaayyyyy below the belt with jokes between each other, but we don't tolerate allowing someone to feel unaccepted. Maybe if you feel strongly enough to post on an internet forum, you should have done something about it.

Not at all trying to belittle......we all make mistakes, and I make some of the worst. Maybe it's just a learning experience for next time.

dumpsterpurrs likes this.
  8. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Not when you really ask them

Teasing - Wikipedia

Individually

Whilst our favourite comedians entertain by pointing out how rubbish we can be

9. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Dolphins will do that to ya.

Bob

HKGuns likes this.
  10. CodeS

CodeS Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Who wants to get hit by a boat?

I just wish I knew I could get a coloured Xdeep stealth before I pulled the trigger!

What do we think, Deadpool or Spiderman?

IMG-20190928-195127.jpg