Gauge mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

insomnia

Contributor
Reaction score
I just started using Petrel in gauge mode from time to time. I am curious if everyone is using START/STOP more often than RESET during the dive.

I am bit unhappy having RESET as a second option in menu after START/STOP since I reset stopwatch few times during the dive but I always use START only on beginning and STOP only at the end of dive. So I am curious about other divers experience.

I am also wondering why there is no possibility to use both buttons push for some function.

don't usually run it in gauge mode, but if you ask shearwater they do have the ability to make dual button pressing a reset button if you asked nicely they might program it in the next firmware update.

That would be great.

I am just curious if I am the only one or not :)

I have only Petrel and I dont use pure Buhlman or pure VPM model for trimix dives. My experience is that Buhlman is good for shallow part of decompression but I want to generate deep stops myself based on dive profile and that is why I use gauge mode.

I have only Petrel and I dont use pure Buhlman or pure VPM model for trimix dives. My experience is that Buhlman is good for shallow part of decompression but I want to generate deep stops myself based on dive profile and that is why I use gauge mode.

Why don't you set it to VPM-B/GFS? This way, you can combine the models, as you apparently want to.

You could also try planning a few dives with different GFS (Lo) settings, on a Bülhmann/GFS-only setting, to give you more time on deep stops.

I found my way for TMX dives which works the best for me and I always feel great after dive w/o any problem. It is a mix of VPM for deeper part, and Buhlmann for shallower part + extra deep stops and different ascent rates. This I can't do w/ any GF or VPM-B/GFS values and that is why I use gauge mode on Petrel.

Yea, but the Petrel will just adapt itself to your actual dive, not penalise you too much for adding deep stop or ascending at various speed for different depths, & provide you with the shortest contingency plan in case you need to get out of the water quick due to any emergency. I still fail to see how gauge mode helps...

I don't have bottom timer yet and I am the only one having Petrel in my group, so running Petrel in gauge mode means that we all have the same deco plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom