Gauge magnifier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjmason1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I can see great distances with my contacts in. Unfortunately it ruins my reading. So, underwater I can't read my gauges. Does anyone know of a company that sells gauge magnifiers? I have an Aladdin Pro computer. Thanks.

Have you tried sticking cheater lenses in your mask?

k2-_d443d3e7-54e7-4ff4-a141-efdce2ea8885.v1.jpg

Many people don't like 'em, but I had great luck with them. Had a pair in my Atomic Aquatics mask for years. (Clean the mask VERY well and install per directions carefully.)

For $14 probably worth a try...

Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal Lenses, 1.50 - Walmart.com

The same company makes lenses that are specific for diving... which are a bit larger but cost >2x price.

614NMZxw6-L._SX300_.jpg

Me too on Dive Optix. They send you 2 , keep one as a spare.

What's a gauge magnifier? Are you talking about reading analog gauges or numbers on your computer? Some computers (like the Mares Puck among others) have nice big numbers us old "reading-glasses needing geezers" can read. If analog, you can try marking critical numbers with waterproof marker. Or, a prescription mask lense. I used to use the stick on bifocal things, but lost two. I did find it easier to just put in one for one eye and close the other to read gauges. But I don't really need that to be safe. Lasik surgery crewed up my nearsightedness, which used to allow me to see perfectly UW, including up close to read gauges. But I wouldn't trade my near 20-20 topside vision for a little better up close viewing underwater.

My suggestion is to swap out the computer.I have a Sherwood wisdom 3 which is easy to read

My suggestion is to swap out the computer.I have a Sherwood wisdom 3 which is easy to read

A $750 solution to a $14 problem... seems a bit much.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2015 at 09:37 AM ----------

If analog, you can try marking critical numbers with waterproof marker.

Which numbers on an SPG or depth gauge are NOT critical?

:D

The stick in lenses, in my experience, float out after a few dives. Another solution is to by a mask with bifocal type lenses in it.

Maybe a $100 solution.

The stick in lenses, in my experience, float out after a few dives. Another solution is to by a mask with bifocal type lenses in it.

Maybe a $100 solution.

Probably did 300-400 dives without mine coming out.

I had good results with the Dive Optix; they never washed out in a dive and I moved them a couple of times between masks. I finally ponied up for prescription bifocal lenses (more like a $200 solution in my experience, and that's if you DON'T let your regular eye-place get them for you).

I bought a XS-Scuba like this one - Gauge Reader - Down View - Dive Right in Scuba. It works really well in being able to read SPG or Computer. If you will notice the construction of the mask, you will see that the lower lens is at a slightly different angle than the main lens. I'm not an expert in optical issues, but for me, this difference in angle makes the ocean bottom seem much closer than when looking through the main lens of the mask. I like to cruise just a few feet above the bottom and found myself constantly nodding my head in order to figure out just how close to the bottom I was. I have noticed that XS-Scuba has come out with a version 2 of this mask that does not have the angled magnifier - XS Scuba MA280 Gauge Reader Scuba Mask . It may work better than the one I have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom