Gauge Lens for Macro Photographers - Old divers only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Sorry guys this is more general than specifically Oly.
I bought a gauge lens facemask and used it once and went back to my old one. It's fine for reading gauges but almost useless as an aid to see small stuff as you have to crank your head back to look through the lenses.

Anyone got a good solution for this issue, it is starting to become a problem when the guide points out something 3 times and I still can't see it......

hello,
LOL join the club, I have exactly the same problems. I cant guarantee that it will work for you , but here is what I am doing
1) I have a gauge lens stuck to the lower left part of my mask, that is dedicated to my gage , I dont need both eyes
2) I carry a 20x plastic magnifying glass in a pocket of my BC
3) I have a AOI led screen magnifier on the back of my TG 6
If you need more info, I am happy to help
Happy confinement
Patrick

This is why I just purchased a custom prescription lenses and they are bonded into my favorite mask, an Atomic Frameless. James

hello,
LOL join the club, I have exactly the same problems. I cant guarantee that it will work for you , but here is what I am doing
1) I have a gauge lens stuck to the lower left part of my mask, that is dedicated to my gage , I dont need both eyes
2) I carry a 20x plastic magnifying glass in a pocket of my BC
3) I have a AOI led screen magnifier on the back of my TG 6
If you need more info, I am happy to help
Happy confinement
Patrick

Christ! Patrick by the time I have all of that ready to go I'll have dropped my camera.

This is why I just purchased a custom prescription lenses and they are bonded into my favorite mask, an Atomic Frameless. James
Hi James, I was going to do that, let me know how you go are they multi-focals?

Patrick, A magnifier on the housing would help a lot. Had one on my old film Nikon/Aquatica set up, it was handy but not essential as t didn't need it in those days.
Patrick if you have the backscatter attachment why do you need a magnifying glass?

Just noticed that there is one by Backscatter for the EP13. Our dollar is in the s-house and it cost $A320 in Australia.
Anyone used one of these on an EP13?

Sorry guys this is more general than specifically Oly.
I bought a gauge lens facemask and used it once and went back to my old one. It's fine for reading gauges but almost useless as an aid to see small stuff as you have to crank your head back to look through the lenses.

Anyone got a good solution for this issue, it is starting to become a problem when the guide points out something 3 times and I still can't see it......
Hi Ardy,

I have the same problem: was not able to read the TC (and more importantly the writings on the screen of my camera any more). Now I have a mask with prescribed progressive lenses glued into the mask (in addition to beeing progressive, they are as well against short-sightedness and astigmatism. The mask was expensive (650 Euros), but since I have it, I do not even notice any more during diving that I have problems with vision - they are worth every cent...

Wolfgang

@Ardy I have this : AOI UMG-01 LCD Magnifier for Olympus Compact Camera Housings and I still need a magnifying glass when, for instance, I am searching for a pygmy sea horse in a gorgonian, or when my eagle eyed spotter is trying to show me something. If I decide I want to take a picture , then I use the camera
Generally speaking , I agree that hyper macro UW photo and advance age are a bit of a challenge but hey if it was easy we would not like it

Hi Patrick - If it was easy everyone would be doing it!!!!

At least every old diver....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom