Gator Wraps!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog

Reaction score
Hey Divers.

Could someome explain to me what gator wraps are used for in diving pease. I have read somewhere (i think) that they are for dry suit divers. I too am a dry suit diver so i thought maybe i was missing out on something here. Cheers.

A ha are they to prevent air from getting into your legs?

but then why would you want to do that...perhaps so you didnt have to wear ankle weights?

Not sure at all, hope someone can help.

That's not such a good idea with a dry suit. Your feet would become more bouyant than the rest of you, you'd turn feet up/head down, and if bad enough, you'd start rising. if not corrected in time, then you'd keep rising, getting faster and faster as the air expands, and your on a feet first uncontolled ascent to the surface. See?

Hey there Warhammer.

Im not with you, i thought they were to stop air from getting to your lower leg, am i wrong?

"Gators" were an ingenious idea designed to overcome poor training for a drysuit diver.

Basically, they were leggings that zipped up snug to help prevent excess air from collecting in the legs of a drysuit diver. However, air collecting in the legs is an indication of lack of training ... not poor suit design.

Just my $.02

RayC

No you're correct. I just used "feet" to describe it, since your feet would rise as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom