Question Gathering information and asking for help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I new to diving and I would like to take some video/photos during my dives.
I still don't know if it's better to focus on photography or videography. However at the moment a have a GoPro hero 3, that I didn't use much, but the housing it's leaking so I don't know what to do, as the hero 3 it's old, I can't find many housing. So my question what you guys suggest:

1) try to find a deep water housing for the hero

2) buy a new gopro ( I still don't know if I want to take videos or photos)

3) get the TG-6

4) new mobile phone with a deep housing

I open to other options of course.

Thank you

As a new diver, make sure your buoyancy is excellent and automatic without thinking about it. Then consider photography. Too many new divers inadvertently trash the reef while trying to take pictures.

Assuming your diving skills are up to snuff, then I think video is the way to go (I shoot stills; my wife shoots video) since most non-divers and many divers get way way more excited by a short video clip than even a great, hang on the wall photo. That being said, a lot of the decision on what to get depends on your audience and how you want them to look at your stuff. If you are interested in wide angle scenic and big stuff then the go pro is quite nice. If you want macro then it is mostly a no go. The TG6 is capable of both nice stills and nice video but if I had the budget I would get a Sony RXV.
In one sense video is easier to shoot but editing is way way more complex for video than stills.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom