Garuda Domestic Baggage Limit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tendi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm seeing conflicting info. We're flying Garuda from Jakarta to Saumlaki. It looks like we can check 20kg + 23kg (dive gear) each. That part makes sense. Where I start to get confused is with the carryon luggage. Because we're flying the ATR to Saumlaki, we're limited to very small carryons - no bigger than 41cmX34cmX17cm (total 92cm) which is smaller than any rollerbag we have. I'm thinking I'll check the 2 bags and carry on a backpack and a regulator bag and husband can check one bag and carry on a backpack. That should get us there without any excess baggage charges, correct? (I don't know why this seems so confusing)

I flew Garuda between Bali and Labuan Bajo on an ATR and I checked in two bags, ~18kg (clothes + camera housing) and ~13kg (BC, wetsuit, fins, lights, etc.). I carried on board a camera backpack and a 10L dry bag containing: reg bag with full singles set, Nautilus Lifeline, prescription mask in container, two dive computers in a small round hardcase, dive logs and cert card in a Ziplock, swim trunks, a shirt, and a bag of lithium batteries. The backpack went under the seat. The dry bag went in the overhead bin. When I checked in, I said one of the bags was dive gear and there was no fuss over it and no overages.

On the flip side to this, I flew ANA from Ishigaki to Tokyo. There is no extra free allocation for sports equipment. You're allowed to carry it, but it must still be within the baggage weight limit, unless you're boarding an international flight within 24 hrs. I had to pay an extra ~$25 USD for 10 more kg.

Did they weigh your carryon?

I don't recall if Garuda weighed our carryons. But even if they don't for some people, you can't count on that. Having small bags that look like they are ok, and making them look light when carrying them ("this is not the bag you're looking for") can sometimes be a helpful strategy anywhere, but never a guarantee.

I don't recall if Garuda weighed our carryons. But even if they don't for some people, you can't count on that. Having small bags that look like they are ok, and making them look light when carrying them ("this is not the bag you're looking for") can sometimes be a helpful strategy anywhere, but never a guarantee.

Probably the most annoying was Nok Air in weight checking consistency. I knew the weight of my check-in bags. From their website, it said if I joined their Nok Club, then I would get another 5kg free. I bought 10kg extra for $6 USD. Going from Bangkok to Chumpon, I had 31 kg total with an expected allowance of 35kg. At the counter, I was told that I didn't qualify for the 5kg, for whatever reason I didn't understand. Basically, I was 1kg over and the counter rep let me pass. On the way back, from Surat Thani to Bangkok, the counter rep said I needed to remove 1kg, which ended up in a Nok shopping bag that another counter rep gave me. Of course, now I had three items as carry-on, but that didn't matter at the gate. Anyway, it was just needless shuffling of things around.

.... Anyway, it was just needless shuffling of things around.

That's when you just shrug and get on the plane I guess.

Thanks for the help! I think I have a packing strategy. I'll report back if I was successful. I wouldn't want to spend an extra $50 on a trip that is costing us thousands! :spend:

Weigh a carry on? Don't be silly.. I carry 3 or 4 all the time :) just be sure to get on the plane early so no one takes all of your overhead bin space.

Also, be aware that if you are in the exit row you can't store anything under the seat in front of you.

I flew Garuda in October, HK - Jakarta - Sorong, 30kg check in luggage. I also had 2 carry on bags with my camera gear, that was not weighting of those. I booked direct from Garuda.

I hope people with overweight hand luggage do the responsible thing place it in the overhead bin above their own seats and not someone elses. I have seen overhead bins fall open during turbulence.

Just wondering if an overweighted item falls out and hurts someone, who is liable? The airline or the luggage owner?

Back
Top Bottom