Garmin Tank Pod Not Communicating with MK2i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivinLion01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all. First time this issue has happened to me and my dive buddy.

Last evening, we were diving one of our local haunts doing some treasure hunting and trash collecting as we do every Wednesday. We got into the water around 4:15 PM (PST). Air temp was 54 degrees, surface water temp was 60ish. Both my buddy and I dive the Garmin MK2i (each of us are over 120 dives on it now) and have each other linked on our watches so we are always able to see each others air. We have never had challenges with our tank pods and watches communicating until last evening.

We dropped down into roughly 15 feet of water and began our dive. We stay in the 12 to 35 foot range (near the shore) as it's where most people lose things and drop trash. Within 15 minutes of the dive starting, both our transmitters stopped communicating with our watches. We still have manual pressure gauges so that's not a big deal, but I found it odd that both stopped at the same time. We averaged 55 degrees in the water with a low of 50. Max depth was 34 feet and total dive time was 71 minutes. When we surfaced at the end of the dive, our watches immediately connected to the tank pods and we were able to see each others air again. Odd...

We replaced our batteries in the tank pods about 40 dives ago, so they should be completely fine. Has anyone experienced this happening? If so, what did you do to prevent it again? Like I said, I have no issue going manual, but we both love the fact we don't need to stop for air checks.

Thanks in advance and happy bubble blowing!

When we surfaced at the end of the dive, our watches immediately connected to the tank pods and we were able to see each others air again. Odd...

We replaced our batteries in the tank pods about 40 dives ago, so they should be completely fine. Has anyone experienced this happening? If so, what did you do to prevent it again? Like I said, I have no issue going manual, but we both love the fact we don't need to stop for air checks.

Thanks in advance and happy bubble blowing!
Weird that both stopped working at the same time so far into the dive. Not so weird that they both started working again at the surface, since the Garmin T1 uses two different comm protocols. One for surface, one for dive.

Reading this thread, it sounds like 40 dives is more than many see. Might be worth changing the battery. I'm guessing that the sonar transmitter may use a bit more power than ANT+.

Garmin Descent T1 transmitter battery life

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom