Garmin or Suunto sports watch GPS at sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone tried the GPS function of a sports watch to mark/navigate dive sites at sea? Can the Garmin fenix 5 or 6 or Suunto 5 or 7 GPS be used at sea accurately?

I currently use a Garmin marine GPS unit and am just wondering if I can replace it with a sports watch unit.

thanks

Navigation (to me) is really best on a larger screen. Chart plotter, tablet, or phone (even a PDA in days past) - use all of those. I also have a Garmin Rino. Can't really think I would like a watch screen as a primary means. Full disclosure, I am soon to get a Garmin Instinct, purchased more for messaging access, but I will be evaluating it for land based navigation (hunting). It is more an accessory to a phone/tablet than the principal means...

Perhaps a good back-up?

YMMV

I have the Garmin Descent Mk I which can pin dive spots accurately (does this automatically for entry and exit points). Given the Descent is basically the Fenix 5 with a dive mode I'm sure it would suffice, though you'd need to manually tag spots.

I would also just counsel against Suunto in general because of their own deco algorithm, the descent (like virtually everyone else) uses Bühlmann ZHL16 GF.

Depends where your priorities are, but if GPS is the feature you really want the garmin can indeed do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom