Garmin InReach Mini?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For those educated about such devices, what are the thoughts about the newish Garmin InReach Mini as a PLB for scuba? It looks like the smallest unit I've seen, 2" x 4" x 1". I'm guessing this is just a smaller version of the InReach already known on these forums. Does the smaller size size increase the choices of canisters or camera cases that it will fit? Will the network and emergency response services work if I'm lost at sea? I think it is a subscription service, where they pass you SOS on to an emergency team, rather than just triggering the normal PLB emergency satellites?

Educate me.

inReach Mini | Garmin | Handheld Outdoor GPS

cf-lg-7723cfb6-c11b-4761-a41e-96dd0983e10e.jpg

It’s not a PLB. “PLB” has a very specific definition in that it communicates directly with the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite network and its signal is directly passed on to a ground station specifically dedicated to SAR assets.

These, while transmitting to a satellite network, does not operate on the same satellite network, and there are specific downsides to using one as opposed to a true PLB. Think of these as more of an emergency messaging service where there are several intermediate steps that take place before SAR deployment is initiated. One of the most significant downsides is that due to the smaller satellite network, signal response time may or may not be significantly delayed as opposed to a true PLB.

water rating: IPX7

1m/3.2ft for 30min

sufficient not even for snorkelers

I bought one of these and a Custom Divers PLB case to go with it.

upload_2019-9-4_18-11-59.png

Prior to the trip, I login to the Inreach website and update my account with my travel plans (destination name, dates, dive center contact), and also update my saved dive center mobile contact (not landline as the SMS won't reach it). After that I sync the updated contact list to the unit.

The inreach mini supports 3 preset messages. I configured it to two distress messages (life-threatening and non life-threatening) and a "everything is ok" message, sent to my family and dive center.

With clear view of the sky, message sending seems to complete within a minute. When received the SMS looks like this:

upload_2019-9-4_18-9-21.png

Replies must be made through the linked webpage. SMS replies to it will be silently ignored.

Problems so far:
1) Custom Divers PLB case is leaky. I'm working around this by putting the inreach into a ziplock bag.
2) On my last trip I wasn't able to sync with the mobile app due to a login failure, however desktop syncing worked.

Back
Top Bottom