Garmin Fenix 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ellisj501

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All.

As far as dive computers go I have a cressi leanardo, which I am happy with, I also use a Garmin Fenix 6 for day to day and other sports tracking.

My question is even though my Garmin has stamped on the back gorilla glass 100 meters" would it survive a s uba dive to 18 meters.

Has anyone else got a Fenix 5 or 6, do you dive with it in fresh a d salt water.

If it wouldn't survive, I would probably sell it and swap it.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

John

The usual rule of thumb I have heard is to go for 200m rated watches for diving. This is not because you expect to go that deep (I have never been below 40m), but because the pressure of your watch moving in the water is potentially much higher than just the static pressure of the water column. On the other hand, this is unsourced hearsay, so I welcome debunkers. I guess with a _cheap_ 100m watch I'd say try it and see.

@ellisj501 not sure how often you are diving, or why you want to wear an activity watch while diving, but if you like Garmin, I would be tempted to recommend selling the Fenix and your Leonardo and getting a Garmin Descent which will do double duty for you.

@ellisj501 not sure how often you are diving, or why you want to wear an activity watch while diving, but if you like Garmin, I would be tempted to recommend selling the Fenix and your Leonardo and getting a Garmin Descent which will do double duty for you.

Hi Tbone, I just managed the one confined pool dive for my OW before lockdown, so I have been sorting kit out, my Fenix 6 is my everyday watch as well as my activity tracker, so just wondered how it would cope when the time comes to go on a proper dive, to be honest, I would use my watch to time the dive then the dive computer to look after the rest.

I have a Fenix 5 that serves double duty as a back up dive computer (using an aftermarket dive computer software). Well, it did. It doesn't any more because I've had issues with salt water corrosion on the contacts on the back. The first one I had had a contact rust and then fall out, flooding the watch. Garmin replaced it under warranty. The replacement starting showing signs of a pin rusting, so I retired it from long term salt water exposure.

I really like it as an activity watch that can do dive computer duty as well, but if I were to do it long term, I'd only use a descent.

The usual rule of thumb I have heard is to go for 200m rated watches for diving. This is not because you expect to go that deep (I have never been below 40m), but because the pressure of your watch moving in the water is potentially much higher than just the static pressure of the water column. On the other hand, this is unsourced hearsay, so I welcome debunkers. I guess with a _cheap_ 100m watch I'd say try it and see.

ha ha cheap, I wish, but what you say makes sense about the water pressure.

From Garmin Site. Fenix 6 is rated to 10ATM (100m) but is not suitable for scuba diving. Garmin requires a specific Water Resistance rating of Dive for scuba diving. It might work but you are using it at your own risk.

Water Rating Definition Suitable
IPX7 Withstands incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes splashes, rain or snow, showering
IPX6 Protected against powerful jets of water. Water projected at all angles through a 12.5 mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100 kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters heavy spray, driving rain, boat washing, outdoor use in rough sea conditions
1 ATM Withstands pressures equivalent to a depth of 10 meters splashes, rain or snow, showering
3 ATM Withstands pressures equivalent to a depth of 30 meters splashes, rain or snow, showering, jumping into water
5 ATM, Swim Withstands pressures equivalent to a depth of 50 meters splashes, rain or snow, showering, swimming, diving into water, snorkeling
10 ATM Withstands pressures equivalent to a depth of 100 meters splashes, rain or snow, showering, swimming, diving into water, snorkeling, high-speed water sports
Dive (up to 11 ATM) Tested to engineering standard EN13319 for dive compliance splashes, rain or snow, showering, swimming, diving into water, snorkeling, high-speed water sports, scuba diving

I have a Fenix 5 that serves double duty as a backup dive computer (using an aftermarket dive computer software). Well, it did. It doesn't any more because I've had issues with salt water corrosion on the contacts on the back. The first one I had had a contact rust and then fall out, flooding the watch. Garmin replaced it under warranty. The replacement starts showing signs of a pin rusting, so I retired it from long term salt water exposure.

I really like it as an activity watch that can dive computer duty as well, but if I were to do it long term, I'd only use a descent.

Hi Saxman242,

Thank you for that, do you mind me asking what third party software you used, I had a look, out of interest but could not find anything.

Cheers

John

@ellisj501 don't trust the timer on your computer?

Either way, I'd still consider selling both of what you have and getting a Descent since the Descent is basically a Fenix 5x with a pressure sensor

Cool, shame they didn't add that functionality to the Fenix 6 though, the most advanced multi-sport tracking watch they make and they miss out Scuba. Crackers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom