Garmin Descent vs Shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TxDivN13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have the Garmin Descent MK2i with transmitter. Ive had it for about a year but not really liking it lately. Feels too big for running and too small for diving.
And thoughts on Descent MK2i vs Shearwater PerdixAi.
Diving lakes, caves, tec and SCR.

I have the Garmin Descent MK2i with transmitter. Ive had it for about a year but not really liking it lately. Feels too big for running and too small for diving.
And thoughts on Descent MK2i vs Shearwater PerdixAi.
Diving lakes, caves, tec and SCR.
No contest: caves, tec and SCR .. Perdix AI.
User interface, company support, screen readability and flexibility, battery, etc.

I have a Shearwater Perdix AI and I had a Garmin Descent MK1, I would pick Shearwater any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Shearwater kinda gold standard of dive computers at the current stage.

I got a Garmin because their transmitter supposedly use a sonar tech that is better for tracking multiple transmitter over greater distance on your computer but then my dive buddy got a perdix for the larger font, and I now I just have envy.

The one disappoinment I have, which I think may pertain to all dive computers or possibly user error, I'm not sure, is there no way to specify custom deco ascent profiles on the computers? The most I've been able to figure with the mk2 is setting the last deco stop or a safety stop.

I got a Garmin because their transmitter supposedly use a sonar tech that is better for tracking multiple transmitter over greater distance on your computer but then my dive buddy got a perdix for the larger font, and I now I just have envy.

The one disappoinment I have, which I think may pertain to all dive computers or possibly user error, I'm not sure, is there no way to specify custom deco ascent profiles on the computers? The most I've been able to figure with the mk2 is setting the last deco stop or a safety stop.
Your custom ascent profile is determined by your gradient factors, which you can change.
What kind of customization were you thinking about?

Your custom ascent profile is determined by your gradient factors, which you can change.
What kind of customization were you thinking about?
Instead of no deco we've been doing min deco ascents which is a stop at 50% and every 10ft thereafter. I haven't found a way to make my Garmin aware of this, so I either use gauge mode or just disable it's safety stop alert.

Instead of no deco we've been doing min deco ascents which is a stop at 50% and every 10ft thereafter. I haven't found a way to make my Garmin aware of this, so I either use gauge mode or just disable it's safety stop alert.
That's because that min deco ascent is entirely fiction and is designed for training, not real diving. You could maybe come close with a very long dive so lots of deco is accumulated, and a very small (like 20 or 30) GF-lo.

That's because that min deco ascent is entirely fiction and is designed for training, not real diving. You could maybe come close with a very long dive so lots of deco is accumulated, and a very small (like 20 or 30) GF-lo.

Thanks it'd be nice if the computer's "NDL" profile was customizable. NDL is even fiction, as all diving is decompression diving, and the most veteran divers get undeserved hits on their "real" dives 😅

Thanks it'd be nice if the computer's "NDL" profile was customizable. NDL is even fiction, as all diving is decompression diving, and the most veteran divers get undeserved hits on their "real" dives 😅
Nonsense. You've been reading and listening to too much crap.
Why do you even have a computer if you feel that way?
Make up whatever stupid profile you want. Just don't expect it to save your a$$.

Nonsense. You've been reading and listening to too much crap.
Why do you even have a computer if you feel that way?
Make up whatever stupid profile you want. Just don't expect it to save your a$$.
🤦

Back
Top Bottom